Vegetables roasted in foil pouches

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
This is a great and easy way to make vegetables that taste really great and they're roasted, not boiled or fried. The trick is to cut your vegetables into roughly the same shapes so they roast evenly. You make a garlic paste by pureeing some garlic and corn oil (or olive oil if you prefer) in a blender and add half teaspoon of that paste to your work bowl... You can also roast a talapia filet or thin chicken breast filet in each pouch so you have a complete meal. Use plenty of variety here, color is a key to enjoying this.... "Your eyes tell you it tastes good before you mouth does" really applies here. Serve with a careful portion of sticky rice (see photo). If you are making or more than one person just multiply the amount of vegetables you see listed below. In Weight Watchers roasted vegetables like this are NO POINTS... It's really a very, very good dish.

Mis en place:

1 carrot, peeled and cut into 4 inch julianne strips
1/2 red bell pepper, julianne
2 scallions cut into 4 inch long strips
3 mushrooms sliced
10-12 green beans trimmed
6-8 cherry or grape tomatoes
1/2 yellow squash, 4 inch strips
(substitute other fresh vegetables in season or use what is in your vegetable bin - it's fun creating new variations)

Preparation:

Combine all vegetables into a work bowl, season liberally with seasoning salt, pepper and a pinch of Herbs de Provence or Tarragon. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the garlic paste, a splash of white wine or lemon juice and toss well. Now pull an 16 inch piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, place it shiny side up. Place the vegetables in a pile near one end. If you are going to add a fish filet season it and place on top of vegetable pile. Fold over the foil and start rolling the edge tightly closed, work your way all the way around to the other side until you have a very tightly sealed package. Place on a baking sheet and roast in 400 degree oven for 1/2 hour. Remove and let rest about five minutes. Place pouch on your serving plate and slice the uncrimped end with a sharp knife and then tip the pouch so the contents slide out onto your plate. Serve as is or with a careful portion of sticky rice.
If you are really trying to control your intake of carbs use an ice cream scoop or a small cup (here I used an espresso cup) to attractively portion your rice. Looks great and really limits your carbs.

31775_390100937238_700647238_4028748_6230743_n.jpg

Roasted vegetable packet, sticky rice with a teriyaki sesame glaze and a breaded talapia filet (roast on a pan in same oven/temp).

Last edited:
This is a great cooking technique for camping. When I do this on coals, in an open flame, or on a grill, I wrap it in two layers of foil to keep it from burning. Your first effort may not turn out great but you can get really good at this with practice. Seal it so the steam stays in to cook it.

That's a NICE presentation, will it be added to the recipe collection? Very good recipe. I am trying one tonight, will take pics of a Pot
Roast Recipe I had in a Disney Restaraunt. Yummy.

Back
Top Bottom