Vegetarian?

JENx

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
Leicester, England
Really wasn't sure where to put this, didn't seem to fit anywhere!

I was just wondering if anyone had turned vegetarian since keeping chickens?

We have only had chickens for a couple of months. Before i thought they were a bit thick and not very intetresting! But of course they are very clever, all have their own charactors and funny little ways!

So now i am having a problem when it comes to cooking, in particular, a whole chicken! My mom and children (9 and 12yrs) are veggie, my husband and i aren't.

I don't really want to give up meat, maybe this will pass!

Anyone else been through this?

Sorry I have become vegetarian in the past 6 months. Before we had hens I had no problem eating the disgusting factory farm raised meat, but after watching how unique these birds are I had to stop. My logic is if I can't kill and eat something that I raised humanely with love, good food, and acres of space then I better not eat it period! Hope this helps.

I was vegetarian for 8 years then went back to god-awful factory farmed meat after I married. (DH is a die hard carnivore.) I found, if I am being honest with myself, I love the taste of meat but cannot reconcile with it morally. I am finding a happy medium by buying an entire cow who led a wonderful cow life on a local farm...pretty much like a giant overgrown dog. I bought him from my kids' old gym teacher who has a great appreciation for life right up until the end. He even went to so far as to tell me how he (our steer) wasn't rushed into loading on the truck and how quick/painless the end was for him.
love.gif
He is such an awesome guy...I really appreciated his kindness.

Anyhow, I get what you are saying. Sometimes you have to draw your own line in the moral sand and just realize your line may blur and change as time goes on.

(((Wow. Am I babbling or what? I feel like some old geezer.
old.gif
)))

No problems here . I drool every time I see my chickens.. I've had 9 roos for dinner and getting ready to have 4 more soon.

I have no problem with eating livestock. Probably because I grew up butchering animals/hunting/fishing. I will guarantee all my birds have a better life than 99% of the livestock out there but they are in the end still food.

Quote:
that's how I feel about it for the most part. I've lived without meat for months on end though, so I guess I can flip/flop but I prefer to be a carnivore
smile.png

My 12 year old son stopped eating meat after we got chickens. He was a vegetarian for a while, now he is slowly starting to eat meat again. I love cooking a whole chicken, but for a little while my husband got grossed out by it. Now he is over it too. So hopefully for you it will pass just like it has for them.

My 8 year old son is funny, when everyone else was having a hard time with it, he said " what's the big deal, that's what they're for?"
He had no problems with eating meat, he would even eat our chickens if we were to cook them. We won't though because they are pets.

I was a vegetarian before I got chickens but my family is not. I was raised on a farm and that's just the way it works. I actually prefer cooking and serving my own chickens because I know that they were loved and respected and never stressed and are very healthy. I have this theory that since it's thought that people who are stressed tend to be more unhealthy and develop more cancers that animals who are stressed are probably also unhealthy. Perhaps these stressed animals are carriers of some of the cancers we end up getting......anyway, that's just my little thought so we do or will eat some of our chickens and turkeys, most will live out long lives as pets, breeders and egg layers but all will be treated well regardless of how they end up.

Back
Top Bottom