Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

I once had a vegetarian come into the restaurant. All I could offer her was carrots and celery, or coleslaw. She wanted neither. She said shed been a vegetarian all her life. She was probably early 20's.

She said she was starving, and ordered chicken wings!

About six months later she came in again and said she had no idea what the vegetarian thing was all about, and said she just loves meat!

I once had a vegetarian come into the restaurant. All I could offer her was carrots and celery, or coleslaw. She wanted neither. She said shed been a vegetarian all her life. She was probably early 20's.

She said she was starving, and ordered chicken wings!

About six months later she came in again and said she had no idea what the vegetarian thing was all about, and said she just loves meat!

Haha that's crazy! I guess she needed to try meat out to "find herself." Honestly chicken wings are my weakness, I still crave them lol

My brother was vegetarian for a good six months until one drunk night out with friends... He ended up ordering the biggest burger at whataburger! And didn't regret a thing in the morning!

So the gist I'm getting is this isn't a thread for veggies to unite, it's a thread for people to talk about wanting to eat less meat and pointing out whenever someone lapses on their vegetarian-ness?
:\ I'll go back to researching chicken coops, now.

Hello everyone! Ethical vegan of two years here! My city passed a chicken ordinance a week ago and I'm researching like crazy so I can bring home some girls!
I haven't read through this thread, but I'm looking forward to it!
Awesome :) Me too. Vegan for a few months now.

@Lsky I thought I replied to your post, but I guess not!

My husband is emotionally supportive, but not interested in giving up his favorite foods. He did stop buying pork, though! He's not only a meat eater, but super picky and the only vegetable he eats are potatoes. He hates food with "too much flavor" so he and I have been eating separate meals for years. His favorite food is chicken, and I always hated how it tasted, unless it was super marinated or had some kind of overpowering sauce (like Teriyaki) so we just got used to eating separately. That made me transitioning to vegan way easier.

He's the easiest to get along with. My mother in law has no idea how to feed me, even now, and always invites us out for pizza because she has no idea what else I eat. When we go to her house for dinner, I usually eat sides and sometimes bring my own main course and condiments.

My mom lives 2000 miles away, but she took it personally. When I see her, she makes a huge deal about how I can't eat "anything" and gets irritated when I can't share things with her. She also gets super embarrassed when we go to restaurants and I ask the server questions about the menu.

I have an 8 month old daughter and I'm very concerned that my MIL will feed her non-vegan foods when she watches her. Once again, it's a personal thing (Why can't I take her to Chick Fil A?). She's always trying to get me to "cheat" and that a little butter wont kill anyone (to which I reply that it does and I get to give her a little education on the horrors of the dairy industry). She sees it as a diet, not as a way of life. I basically just try and go about my daily life and not inconvenience everyone who I come across. Because you know, it's my fault and my veganism is making their lives harder.
roll.png

When we go on trips, the first thing I do is look and see if there's a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's nearby. Going to different grocery stores in my area is my idea of fun, because I want to find new vegan goodies wherever I go.

Since I started researching chickens, literally everyone I talk to is like, why do you want chickens then? Like they can't comprehend having them as pets. The second question is what am I going to do with the eggs? First of all, I'm going to find a breed that doesn't lay as much and second, I'm gonna feed the eggs right back to them.

How's it going for you? The first 6 months or so were really hard for me. The cheese addiction is real. You just gotta remember why you're doing it.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have it tougher than me. My sister has been vegetarian for a few years now, and my mother has never really eaten meat, or dairy (It makes her sick). And we have never used real leather of fur. Nor do we go to "shows" or events which exploit animals. So, we've always eaten a lot of vegi/vegan food anyway. I have struggled a lot with giving up dairy. Meat and eggs were easy, but giving up cheese and cream has been a real struggle. When my sister does the shopping and buys cheese I get really angry with her, as she knows what goes on in the dairy industry. She has cut it back quite a lot though and hopefully one day will make a full transition to a vegan diet. I'm a teenager, so I still live at home. I had a really great vegi curry for lunch, which I made with my mum. I think it's important to cook good food, to show other people that there is a lot of different options available, besides "just salad". My other family members are okay with it, but I live right next to my aunt, uncle, and younger cousins - who live on a farm. I think they think I'm just fussy or over-sensitive. But I know that what I am doing is right, so I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

If I had children and someone fed them animal products I would be furious with them. Maybe if you wrote down some vegan recipes and food you and your daughter could eat and gave it to your MIL that would help? She's your daughter, and your MIL should respect that. If someone lets you babysit their child and tells you not to let them watch horror films, then you shouldn't let them watch horror films. Why is this any different?

We're rescuing some ex-battery hens in a couple of months time. I too have been doing a lot of research on them. I think they're beautiful and interesting creatures, why not just keep them as pets? :) I am going to try to feed the eggs back to the hens before my family reaches them lol

Last edited:
Thanks, Lsky! Totally with you on the dairy industry - most people and vegetarians just don't realize the other side of it - cruelty aside. So for all of you dairy fans, I leave you with this to think about ...

Back
Top Bottom