Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

The meat, dairy, and egg industries are heavily subsidised, that's why most people don't know the truth about them.

I once had a vegetarian come into the restaurant. All I could offer her was carrots and celery, or coleslaw. She wanted neither. She said shed been a vegetarian all her life. She was probably early 20's.

She said she was starving, and ordered chicken wings!

About six months later she came in again and said she had no idea what the vegetarian thing was all about, and said she just loves meat!
gig.gif

Maybe you can contact your church to see if they would be a benefit to some parishioners or food kitchens. If they are fertile eggs ,schools may be eager for them to incubate in classrooms. I understand they often do so - while school is in session.

ps you can also scramble them and feed them back to your chickens for added protein. Scrambling is best so they don't recognize it as an egg.

Hello everyone! Ethical vegan of two years here! My city passed a chicken ordinance a week ago and I'm researching like crazy so I can bring home some girls!
I haven't read through this thread, but I'm looking forward to it!

frow.gif

Hello! I've recently became vegetarian about a month ago and to be honest it wasn't that difficult for me. I was never that fond of eating meat in the first place, so I figured to just go straight vegetarian! Anyways I've gotta read more on this thread!

Congrats on becoming a vegetarian!
I once had a vegetarian come into the restaurant. All I could offer her was carrots and celery, or coleslaw. She wanted neither. She said shed been a vegetarian all her life. She was probably early 20's.

She said she was starving, and ordered chicken wings!

About six months later she came in again and said she had no idea what the vegetarian thing was all about, and said she just loves meat!

Curiosity can be hard to resist for some lifelong vegetarians.
Though even after 2 decades, it's still not something I've ever felt the need to try.
@Lsky I thought I replied to your post, but I guess not!

My husband is emotionally supportive, but not interested in giving up his favorite foods. He did stop buying pork, though! He's not only a meat eater, but super picky and the only vegetable he eats are potatoes. He hates food with "too much flavor" so he and I have been eating separate meals for years. His favorite food is chicken, and I always hated how it tasted, unless it was super marinated or had some kind of overpowering sauce (like Teriyaki) so we just got used to eating separately. That made me transitioning to vegan way easier.

He's the easiest to get along with. My mother in law has no idea how to feed me, even now, and always invites us out for pizza because she has no idea what else I eat. When we go to her house for dinner, I usually eat sides and sometimes bring my own main course and condiments.

My mom lives 2000 miles away, but she took it personally. When I see her, she makes a huge deal about how I can't eat "anything" and gets irritated when I can't share things with her. She also gets super embarrassed when we go to restaurants and I ask the server questions about the menu.

I have an 8 month old daughter and I'm very concerned that my MIL will feed her non-vegan foods when she watches her. Once again, it's a personal thing (Why can't I take her to Chick Fil A?). She's always trying to get me to "cheat" and that a little butter wont kill anyone (to which I reply that it does and I get to give her a little education on the horrors of the dairy industry). She sees it as a diet, not as a way of life. I basically just try and go about my daily life and not inconvenience everyone who I come across. Because you know, it's my fault and my veganism is making their lives harder.
roll.png

When we go on trips, the first thing I do is look and see if there's a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's nearby. Going to different grocery stores in my area is my idea of fun, because I want to find new vegan goodies wherever I go.

Since I started researching chickens, literally everyone I talk to is like, why do you want chickens then? Like they can't comprehend having them as pets. The second question is what am I going to do with the eggs? First of all, I'm going to find a breed that doesn't lay as much and second, I'm gonna feed the eggs right back to them.

How's it going for you? The first 6 months or so were really hard for me. The cheese addiction is real. You just gotta remember why you're doing it.
Cheese is still the only thing I haven't found a reliable replacement for. I've basically just completely given up on it rather than trying to find a substitute.
I always hated the taste of milk but have become quite the almond milk drinker.

Hi all! Vegetarian since 2009, vegan since 2010. Have my first flock of 3-week-old and 2-week-old chicks! Eggs will be fed back to chickens, my dogs, any friends and family and neighbors who want them, my vegetarian husband - and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if I eat some too, we'll see (I still won't eat commercially produced eggs!). I actually read somewhere that a new "label" for vegans who eat eggs is "veggans." Ha!

Since I got my chickens this year, I stopped eating chicken. I can't eat it without thinking of them & their cousins who probably were raised in awful conditions to get to my plate.

I'm still suspicious of "free range" & organic chicken meat too, since there's no real standards that it means a better quality of life.

We're experimenting with growing & foraging for mushrooms in cooking.

I'm interested in this thread mostly because so many other threads seem to be hijacked by omnivores who get all defensive & preachy.

I just want a place on here where people won't judge my choice to stop eating chickens

Back
Top Bottom