Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Since I got my chickens this year, I stopped eating chicken. I can't eat it without thinking of them & their cousins who probably were raised in awful conditions to get to my plate.

I'm still suspicious of "free range" & organic chicken meat too, since there's no real standards that it means a better quality of life.

We're experimenting with growing & foraging for mushrooms in cooking.

I'm interested in this thread mostly because so many other threads seem to be hijacked by omnivores who get all defensive & preachy.

I just want a place on here where people won't judge my choice to stop eating chickens

That's totally normal! I already didn't eat any animals before I got chickens, but I got used to not thinking anything of what other people eat (I wanted to hold to my ethics without becoming a totally miserable, judge-y person :-D). But ever since I got my little feather babies, I now feel so awful when other people eat chickens! All I think is: "I can never let this person near my girls..." :)

I think once ya realize that chickens, like dogs and cats, each have their own personalities, likes and dislikes, show you affection, etc., it makes it a lot harder to think about causing them suffering or ending their lives if you don't have to. And you just don't have to! Lots of non-meat alternatives out there.

and I would LOVE to get into mushroom foraging, too! Let me know if you find any good resources for that.

Last edited:
That's totally normal! I already didn't eat any animals before I got chickens, but I got used to not thinking anything of what other people eat (I wanted to hold to my ethics without becoming a totally miserable, judge-y person :-D). But ever since I got my little feather babies, I now feel so awful when other people eat chickens! All I think is: "I can never let this person near my girls..." :)

I think once ya realize that chickens, like dogs and cats, each have their own personalities, likes and dislikes, show you affection, etc., it makes it a lot harder to think about causing them suffering or ending their lives if you don't have to. And you just don't have to! Lots of non-meat alternatives out there.

and I would LOVE to get into mushroom foraging, too! Let me know if you find any good resources for that.

We started mushroom foraging by taking a class through Wild Craft. It was great because the leader started with the basics, led us to a couple different foraging sites, & walked us through the different mushrooms we found. We went home with enough chicken of the woods & chanterelles to last us for 2 weeks of meals plus some for drying.
It was also pretty expensive.

Our local Oregon Mycological Society just had their annual fall mushroom show with displays, tastings, & panel discussions. They said we can bring mushrooms we find to the monthly meetings for help with ID and more info on foraging trips.

We also brought home kits for shiitake & oyster mushrooms.

Where do you live? Try searching online for your local Mycological Society. It's a lot easier to get info from real people than trying to understand all the info online.

i do not mind having a vegetarian meal a day. (i never will go meat free though) i would stop eating factory farmed meat due to all the mistreatment and abuse those poor things suffer but family cooks it any ways so i eat it (not that i enjoy the way the meat comes from). so i have to give credit to you guys out there that don't eat meat.

Vegetarians And Vegans Alike, Discuss your Troubles and Triumphs In this thread!

My Veggie Brethren, Unite!
Hey, I have had chickens and quail for ages, a long time before I stopped eating meat and animal products. As often as I can, I give my chickens there own eggs back, as calcium and minerals, but my quails don't eat their own eggs (they don't like them). I was wondering if other vegans think it is OK for me to sell the quail eggs, and with the money, get them things, and invest in different things making the quails even more comfortable. Thanks!

Hey, I have had chickens and quail for ages, a long time before I stopped eating meat and animal products. As often as I can, I give my chickens there own eggs back, as calcium and minerals, but my quails don't eat their own eggs (they don't like them). I was wondering if other vegans think it is OK for me to sell the quail eggs, and with the money, get them things, and invest in different things making the quails even more comfortable. Thanks!

Of course its ok to sell them! The reason I started raising chickens was so I could eat eggs from happy chickens with names, to be certain my food does not contribute to the cruelty involved in big ag

Gary

To be honest, most vegans I know would not approve. They think selling or even giving them away perpetuates the idea that eggs are ours to take, and that it's ok for people to eat eggs...

But, I don't necessarily agree. I see their point... but I also feel like every egg that my friends, family, and coworkers take from my girls is one less egg they buy from a miserable abused egg-laying machine on a factory farm. I like the idea of cutting into the commercial egg market. So I give some eggs away. I don't sell per se, but I'll take donations to the "chicken treat fund" if they offer. :)

To be honest, most vegans I know would not approve. They think selling or even giving them away perpetuates the idea that eggs are ours to take, and that it's ok for people to eat eggs...

But, I don't necessarily agree. I see their point... but I also feel like every egg that my friends, family, and coworkers take from my girls is one less egg they buy from a miserable abused egg-laying machine on a factory farm. I like the idea of cutting into the commercial egg market. So I give some eggs away. I don't sell per se, but I'll take donations to the "chicken treat fund" if they offer. :)
I hope I'm not intruding by posting here, but why don't vegans eat eggs? Sorry, I'm just genuinely curious. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom