Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Hi Attila, glad to see you too. I have read all kinds of things about chicken embryo research, it is sad. Any critter kept for research lives a horrible existence I think. Factory farms are sad too. Thankfully there are still small producers doing things right though they are slowly getting crowded out by the big places.

People have to be willing to pay a little more for their food. Cheap food is causing everything to boil down to a few producers who can make it cheap. It's the one thing we need to survive but the first thing that's complained about as far as cost. I don't see things improving much in my lifetime, though there seems to have been a shift and a desire of younger folks to change stuff, but boy it's been really messed up.

I come from a farming background so I know how it all goes down. It's important for folks to have the correct information about stuff, I read a lot of misinformation meant to scare people. My vegan brother is convinced that all eggs are baby chickens, no matter how I explain it.

Many dairy cows lack motherly instincts, and many farmers keep the calves with the mom longer. We always kept the calves by the mom for a few days than moved them down to a pen with the other ones. Some moms would visit, most didn't care and would walk right on by. It has mostly been bred out and isn't cruel. Now beef cows are another story, they raise their calves and will defend them to death.

I'm okay with your decisions and thoughts, but I do think people should be educated and know what's going on in the industry. The chick grinding is disturbing, but no one wants to buy the rooster chicks. How else should they dispose of them. I've pondered it too. Gassing and suffocation are more cruel. People should buy straight run and deal with the rooster themselves, but no one wants too anymore, they want the blood on someone else's hands.

The people eating food who never produced it are the true enemy. They want it, and they want it cheap, than blame farmers for cruelly producing it. People need more respect for their food, and that others are doing all the work for them and all the do is demand it good and cheap. In our country 10% of the population produces food for everyone. That's crazy.

Anyways that's my high horse. Sorry not directed at you or anyone in particular. Things could be done better and more humane but things cost money and most farmers barely make a living, unless it's a corporate owned farm.

I see you live in Europe, so things are different everywhere. I think everyone can agree that things have gotten too industrialized and there's no respect for the food anymore. I'm happy when I hear someone wanting to be self sufficient. We all should grow some of our own food. Besides home grown tastes way better than store bought and just feels healthier.
I don't think we're disagreeing on anything here. People do need to be educated on these things. It's easy to go to the shops and pick up a packet of meat with a nice picture of a cow on the front and not think about what you're actually buying. The problem is everyone wants everything, and they want it right away. They don't want to only eat fruit and veg which is in season, or to have to wait a little longer for eggs because they're not being mass produced. As for the cockerels, If the chickens were being raised humanely out in a pasture or something then the roosters would help to keep the hens safe, and it would be more natural, but of course the industry doesn't care about that, they care about the cash they'd be losing. And I completely agree that people need to have more respect for their food. There's something honest about raising and killing your own animals, even if it upsets you, you see what has to be done if you want to eat meat.

Hi Attila, glad to see you too. I have read all kinds of things about chicken embryo research, it is sad. Any critter kept for research lives a horrible existence I think. Factory farms are sad too. Thankfully there are still small producers doing things right though they are slowly getting crowded out by the big places.

People have to be willing to pay a little more for their food. Cheap food is causing everything to boil down to a few producers who can make it cheap. It's the one thing we need to survive but the first thing that's complained about as far as cost. I don't see things improving much in my lifetime, though there seems to have been a shift and a desire of younger folks to change stuff, but boy it's been really messed up.

I come from a farming background so I know how it all goes down. It's important for folks to have the correct information about stuff, I read a lot of misinformation meant to scare people. My vegan brother is convinced that all eggs are baby chickens, no matter how I explain it.
Yup, research on animals is never justified. I think one day, probably soon, all of the small farms will be drowned out by a few huge factory farms. Mass producing meat, dairy, eggs, fruit, veg etc... Sad, but unless people wake up to reality I don't see that changing. Even if a chicken egg is fertile it's not a baby chick yet, a lot of vegans act as if you're eating a chick alive or something. un-fertilized eggs are just chicken periods, and even fertile eggs are okay to eat because the embryo won't develop if the eggs are refrigerated. I know you probably know that, I just wanted to say something because I'm fed up of extreme vegans spreading misinformation too. And they always seem to go after the wrong people, people like us who actually care about where our food comes from. but just because we eat eggs they'd be complaining. Obesity is on the rise, our foods are full of GMO and other crap, fruit and veg are sprayed with chemicals to make them grow faster and bigger, which kills off insects. Man, the world is so messed up, makes me so sad.

Last edited:
Yup, research on animals is never justified. I think one day, probably soon, all of the small farms will be drowned out by a few huge factory farms. Mass producing meat, dairy, eggs, fruit, veg etc... Sad, but unless people wake up to reality I don't see that changing. Even if a chicken egg is fertile it's not a baby chick yet, a lot of vegans act as if you're eating a chick alive or something. un-fertilized eggs are just chicken periods, and even fertile eggs are okay to eat because the embryo won't develop if the eggs are refrigerated. I know you probably know that, I just wanted to say something because I'm fed up of extreme vegans spreading misinformation too. And they always seem to go after the wrong people, people like us who actually care about where our food comes from. but just because we eat eggs they'd be complaining. Obesity is on the rise, our foods are full of GMO and other crap, fruit and veg are sprayed with chemicals to make them grow faster and bigger, which kills off insects. Man, the world is so messed up, makes me so sad.
Well said, my feeling exactly. I find it strange how far removed from nature and basic needs humans have become in first world countries. I will continue to grow as much of our own produce naturally as much as possible, and my husband will continue to hunt for the majority of his meat. I am getting too old to change the world, hopefully the younger generation will start something more productive than my generation has.

Well said, my feeling exactly. I find it strange how far removed from nature and basic needs humans have become in first world countries. I will continue to grow as much of our own produce naturally as much as possible, and my husband will continue to hunt for the majority of his meat. I am getting too old to change the world, hopefully the younger generation will start something more productive than my generation has.
Well I'm a part of that young generation, and sadly I think it's too late. The population is exploding, and as you said people are so far removed from nature now. In the UK they're now doing a sugar tax, to "tackle obesity", but in reality they're just exploiting it. If they really cared then there wouldn't be a McDonalds on every street, and kids would be getting proper health education, not the crap they have now. We shouldn't bubble wrap them, we shouldn't bubble wrap anyone. You can't sugar coat everything, people need to see this stuff, they need to know what they're eating, and what happens in these farms. But we all know why they're keeping the crowds ignorant.

Well I'm a part of that young generation, and sadly I think it's too late. The population is exploding, and as you said people are so far removed from nature now. In the UK they're now doing a sugar tax, to "tackle obesity", but in reality they're just exploiting it. If they really cared then there wouldn't be a McDonalds on every street, and kids would be getting proper health education, not the crap they have now. We shouldn't bubble wrap them, we shouldn't bubble wrap anyone. You can't sugar coat everything, people need to see this stuff, they need to know what they're eating, and what happens in these farms. But we all know why they're keeping the crowds ignorant.
Speaking of sugar and McDonald's, both were treats when I was a kid, McDonald's was twice a year, and sugar was reserved for cornflakes. It wasn't an evil that it now has become. There's more chemicals in prepackaged foods than there is real food. There is too many people and no one wants to sacrifice anything to make things better. Maybe your kids kids will do something about it. I don't have kids so I leave no one to this world.

I suppose a sugar tax is about as good as a tobacco and alcohol tax. Most folks will keep doing as everyone else does until the earth finally starts to shake us off. Won't be pretty. Most people don't know what to do with no electricity, most I think will starve to death. I have plenty of poultry to eat if necessary. Probably have to fight off the neighbors.

I always thought things were better across the pond. Apparently it's the same as here.

Sugar was always evil, just no one knew.
I can't get over how many people don't realize overpopulation is a problem. Maybe more than average on this thread do.

Speaking of sugar and McDonald's, both were treats when I was a kid, McDonald's was twice a year, and sugar was reserved for cornflakes. It wasn't an evil that it now has become. There's more chemicals in prepackaged foods than there is real food. There is too many people and no one wants to sacrifice anything to make things better. Maybe your kids kids will do something about it. I don't have kids so I leave no one to this world.

I suppose a sugar tax is about as good as a tobacco and alcohol tax. Most folks will keep doing as everyone else does until the earth finally starts to shake us off. Won't be pretty. Most people don't know what to do with no electricity, most I think will starve to death. I have plenty of poultry to eat if necessary. Probably have to fight off the neighbors.

I always thought things were better across the pond. Apparently it's the same as here.
I always wanted kids but sometimes I wonder if it would be better not to have any, I haven't had to make that choice yet though. And you're right, noone wants to sacrafice anything, they want everything all the time. The earth will do fine without us if humans do die out. Just gotta enjoy life while it lasts and try to do your best. Who knows what the future holds.

Sugar was always evil, just no one knew.
I can't get over how many people don't realize overpopulation is a problem. Maybe more than average on this thread do.
That is the major problem of our world, too many chickens shoved in too small of a coop. Sugar used to be a good quick source of energy back in the day, or a treat on your birthday. It wasn't in everything like it is now. I'm not sure if people would recognize their food without all the sweeteners in it.

Back
Top Bottom