Vent cleet

Tessie2max2

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 16, 2018
I cannot seem to ride my three year old hens from this and have not received n egg from them in a year. New hens not even eight months old started laying now only get one egg every three days (4 hens). Rooster who is eight months too seems affected by a pasty butt too. Apple cider vinegar doesn't help, cleaning out vent with saline and spraying raw butt area with bannix first help. Probiotics in water not helping I have invested so much time not to mention money that I am giving up. Any other recommendations our there!!

I cannot seem to ride my three year old hens from this and have not received n egg from them in a year. New hens not even eight months old started laying now only get one egg every three days (4 hens). Rooster who is eight months too seems affected by a pasty butt too. Apple cider vinegar doesn't help, cleaning out vent with saline and spraying raw butt area with bannix first help. Probiotics in water not helping I have invested so much time not to mention money that I am giving up. Any other recommendations our there!!
The Banixx would cause more harm than good if it's vent gleet. I'd wash that off if it's not too late. You could try Monistat cream and rub that on her vent after washing it, then Greek yogurt is probably the best probiotic out there for chickens other than the stuff you're putting in the water. I would keep that up for a few days and you should see improvement.

For your rooster, he could probably use probiotics too. Raw ACV I know is used for chicks with repeated pasty butt but I'd assume it would help your him too.

If this is a recurring problem, you might want to consider fermenting feed. I do it a really simple way if you'd like I'd explain it. That contains mega probiotics too.

Yes please on the ferment food! Its too late for the bannix but I stopped using it the other other day and got something for chickens but can't remember its name. I tried to worm them but need to try another product.

Yes please on the ferment food! Its too late for the bannix but I stopped using it the other other day and got something for chickens but can't remember its name. I tried to worm them but need to try another product.
First, mix up what you want to ferment in like an icecream bucket or something. You can put their pellets in but I don't. I use a 6-grain scratch, add a small amount of other seeds to that, like chia, flax, oatmeal, etc.

Take 3 one-quart glass jars and set two of them aside. Fill one half full of this mix, then fill it up to near the top with unchlorinated water and cover it with cheesecloth or a light towel. The next day, stir the 1st one, then do the same thing to another jar. The next day, stir the first two and do the same thing on the third jar. The next day, drain your 1st one and serve it in a pan or dish or whatever, then clean your jar and start a new one in it. That's it! If it's too much to give them every single day, you can either make less or skip a day and go every other one.

Always make sure there is a layer of water over the top so mold won't start.

Back
Top Bottom