Vent Gleet and Worms

I picked off the ones I could get but they were quick to go back inside her. They come out after her baths so I'll bathe her again and be ready with a tweezers.

No injury other than the sore vent but there are flies everywhere this time of year.
Unfortunately it's a process to get them all. Just keep up what you're doing. You could try searching for "chicken fly strike treatment" as well.

A good preventative measure is to do frequent "butt checks". I check my girls twice a week.

It can't dehydrate worms inside of an animal. You realize that intestines are wet on the inside, right?
7943CE7F-B35A-43ED-9DE2-1740352AAD98.jpeg
According to Green Willow Homestesd and many other areas, it can. And yes I do of course know intestines are wet,

View attachment 3140210According to Green Willow Homestesd and many other areas, it can. And yes I do of course know intestines are wet,
External parasites. Not internal. Worms dont have exoskeletons. It doesn't even work well on external either.

I will never accept info as fact from a homestead blog or website.

Unfortunately it's a process to get them all. Just keep up what you're doing. You could try searching for "chicken fly strike treatment" as well.

A good preventative measure is to do frequent "butt checks". I check my girls twice a week.
Thanks. I'll keep at it. The flies are attracted to her because of the mess from the gleet so this may be an ongoing process. I did catch the gleet pretty early on but it's taking time to heal.

Thanks. I'll keep at it. The flies are attracted to her because of the mess from the gleet so this may be an ongoing process. I did catch the gleet pretty early on but it's taking time to heal.
Oh definitely. Probably best to keep her somewhere where flies can't get to her until she is well, and healed.

View attachment 3140210According to Green Willow Homestesd and many other areas, it can. And yes I do of course know intestines are wet,
You cannot trust everything you believe on the internet. Especially not from random people’s blogs. The whole purpose of DE is that it scratches off the exoskeleton of parasites. Once it get’s wet, it’s rendered useless. The insides of living things are wet. The things on the bird also are not worms. They are maggots.

In order for a drying effect to work on a parasite such as a worm, the entire environment would need to be dry. If the parasite's surroundings are not dry, then the parasite will not be, either -- it will simply stay moist because it is surrounded by moisture.
In order for DE to work on internal parasites, the bird would have to ingest enough DE to dry out its own innards, which would kill the bird.

Back
Top Bottom