Vent Gleet and Worms

Welcome to BYC, sorry your hen is sick. I agree with the others, that's a maggot. Fly strike is a life-threatening emergency, and this is why:
Maggots will be present in the wound, under remaining skin, in the vent if the wound is nearby, and eggs and little maggots will be hatching out every hour, so it's a real emergency!
Wear gloves, rinse, pull them out individually, and look all over her body, because those flies will have layed eggs elsewhere too.
One day to hatch, one day to grow by destroying tissue right to bone, and produce toxins that will cause death.
Use an insecticide like permethrin, as part of the rinse.
Then treat with Neosporin, maluka honey, or Silvadene, to cover all the damaged tissue, house her on hospital pads or towels, and keep her eating and drinking.
It's survivable IF it's treated immediately, and not secondary to an untreatable malady.
All the best,
Mary

What is this yellow stuff? Can you clean it off and get new pictures?
1654647715161.png

Thank you for your concern. This morning she was still leaking goop put of her vent but no sign of maggots. She had another bath last night and also no sign of them. I'm dealing with her some more right now.
Is she eating?

Thank you all so much for your concern. I'm very appreciative of the advice and not confused or scared off, I just don't spend a lot of time on my phone and I was out of cell range for some time today. I'll post an update later on her progress and what I've done in case it might help someone else.

Back
Top Bottom