Vent Gleet?

havenwoodchix9

Chirping
5 Years
May 5, 2016
I have a white leghorn hen named Marilyn, 5 yrs old, with a very pasty rear end. I have soaked her in warm water and some Dawn a couple of times to remove the worst of it and trimmed the remaining "glued" together feathers and it improved temporarily. Now she is getting pasty again and just looks like she doesn't feel well. She is still eating and does her "chicken thing" each day, but as the day wears on, she looks like she feels worse and worse. Her laying had slowed down, but now has stopped altogether. Could this be vent gleet? I have read numerous treatments, but they are all so different, I don't know which way to go. Any advice would be most appreciated. It breaks my heart to see her this way. Thank you!

Can you get a good clear pic of her soiled backside?
Is it juicy poops or clear fluid?
I believe vent gleet is a clearish fluid(but not sure at all)
Any other birds having issues?

When I have a bird acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Vent gleet is usually caused by a fungal infection and affects the whole digestive tract. There is an irritated vent with white or yellow patches, and a bad odor. But she could also be suffering from a reproductive infection or disorder. Sometimes those hens will have loose poops, and may feel lousy. Some try antibiotics if they have them available. But it is good to know which problem you are treating, since antibiotics could cause more problems if she has vent gleet or fungal infection. I would get her cleaned up, trim any excess fluff, and start some probiotics. You can use Nustock cream, which is found in the horse supplies in feed stores. It is antifungal, but would also be helpful if she is just irritated on her vent. Do you have a vet familiar with chickens that might help you diagnose her?

I’m struggling with this. Tired to isolate, clean, probiotics, monistat on her vent for a week and she’s still covered with a poopy butt. What antibiotics would work? @Eggcessive

ps sorry To highjack this post. Just noticed it was posted today.

My hen is over 4 yrs old and I had a roo that caused some damage on her despite putting an apron on her. ( he’s gone now) She hasn’t laid in about 2 yrs and when she laid over 2 yrs ago it was a soft shelled egg. I feel bad I went on so long but she was always happy and healthy until the last 2 months or so. I appreciate any help!

I’m struggling with this. Tired to isolate, clean, probiotics, monistat on her vent for a week and she’s still covered with a poopy butt. What antibiotics would work? @Eggcessive

ps sorry To highjack this post. Just noticed it was posted today.

My hen is over 4 yrs old and I had a roo that caused some damage on her despite putting an apron on her. ( he’s gone now) She hasn’t laid in about 2 yrs and when she laid over 2 yrs ago it was a soft shelled egg. I feel bad I went on so long but she was always happy and healthy until the last 2 months or so. I appreciate any help!
I am not a vet nor an expert on vent gleet. I haven’t seen it in my flock. But I have seen chickens who suffer from messy vents. If your hen was harassed by a rooster, she may have had some vent pecking or damage. That can cause leakage and problems. Check for any lice or mites, since lice eggs around the lower abdomen can “catch” droppings. Your hen may have some reproductive problems inside which are related to her not laying. At her age that can be common in hens. Honestly, we don’t always know what is going on without vet care, until we can do a necropsy after death.

I really appreciate the advice. I've had chickens for 5 years and they have always been so healthy. This really has me stumped but will give these things a try! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom