Vent problems?

darkwing96

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
Colorado
I have 2 female mallards, Seymour and Darkwing. Darkwing has always been very affectionate amd cuddly. Recently, she has grown a bit withdrawn and doesn't like to be handled much. She layed a small egg with no shell and two yolks last week, and both ducks have slightly orangey colored yolks. Today, Darkwing's vent was a little puffy and visible, it also leaked clear and white fluid when I applied very gentle pressure around her vent (very very gentle, I barely touched). I am of course taking them to the vet, but does this sound emergent to anyone? Pics attached

Yes, get her to a vet - she may be having egg system problems, including the possibility of egg binding.

Sechs was eggbound, and the vet put her on Metacam, an anti-inflammatory, and Bactrim, an antibiotic. Six days later, she passed what was left of a stuck egg (we avoided surgery, yay!). We kept her on the medicines for several more days. She's fine now.

I have started boosting the food with more calcium, using dissolved calcium citrate tablets.

She has 24/7 access to calcium chips. I was told somewhere that as long as she is pooping she's not egg bound? I'm definitely getting her to a vet, but i think it's more of an infection. Sechs didn't need surgery (great! ) but how do ducks handle being under anesthesia? And aftercare? Thank yo for replying

Surgery is risky for ducks - some don't do well with anesthesia. At the same time, many come out just fine, and if it's a life-threatening situation, well, it's not an easy choice . . .

Sechs did poop while the egg was stuck. In her case, the egg broke inside her. It was a thin-shelled egg. So she passed the white, the yolk, and there was some material coming out of her vent that looked "suspicious" - like infection was setting in. When the shell and membrane and the rest of the egg passed, it reminded me of a wadded up gum wrapper - paper and all.

Back
Top Bottom