1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vent problems?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by darkwing96, Oct 8, 2016.

1. darkwing96

darkwing96 Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I have 2 female mallards, Seymour and Darkwing. Darkwing has always been very affectionate amd cuddly. Recently, she has grown a bit withdrawn and doesn't like to be handled much. She layed a small egg with no shell and two yolks last week, and both ducks have slightly orangey colored yolks. Today, Darkwing's vent was a little puffy and visible, it also leaked clear and white fluid when I applied very gentle pressure around her vent (very very gentle, I barely touched). I am of course taking them to the vet, but does this sound emergent to anyone? Pics attached
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, get her to a vet - she may be having egg system problems, including the possibility of egg binding.

Sechs was eggbound, and the vet put her on Metacam, an anti-inflammatory, and Bactrim, an antibiotic. Six days later, she passed what was left of a stuck egg (we avoided surgery, yay!). We kept her on the medicines for several more days. She's fine now.

I have started boosting the food with more calcium, using dissolved calcium citrate tablets.

3. darkwing96

darkwing96 Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    Colorado
    She has 24/7 access to calcium chips. I was told somewhere that as long as she is pooping she's not egg bound? I'm definitely getting her to a vet, but i think it's more of an infection. Sechs didn't need surgery (great! ) but how do ducks handle being under anesthesia? And aftercare? Thank yo for replying

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Surgery is risky for ducks - some don't do well with anesthesia. At the same time, many come out just fine, and if it's a life-threatening situation, well, it's not an easy choice . . .

Sechs did poop while the egg was stuck. In her case, the egg broke inside her. It was a thin-shelled egg. So she passed the white, the yolk, and there was some material coming out of her vent that looked "suspicious" - like infection was setting in. When the shell and membrane and the rest of the egg passed, it reminded me of a wadded up gum wrapper - paper and all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by