Vent still bleeding after prolapse

Jun 11, 2020
My 1-year old EE, Tonks, has had some vent issues lately. I posted for help on another thread (link below), which includes more details.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-with-bloody-cloaca.1464191/#post-24387733

Details: She prolapsed a few days ago and I’ve been treating it according to info found on threads here. This is my first prolapse experience, but she seems to be improving. I soaked her and put the prolapsed tissue back in several times the first 2 days, and she gradually stopped prolapsing. I’m checking on her, keeping area clean and spraying with Manuka Honey every few hours. The hen is separated from the flock and has unlimited access to electrolyte water. I give her soaked feed and some yogurt several times a day. She hasn’t laid or passed any deflated shells in several days and her poops mostly seem normal.

Current question: She hasn’t prolapsed in over 24 hours but she is bleeding some from the vent. I have found a few drops of red blood on the bottom of her cage and when I clean her, there are some small clots in the feathered area. Is this to be expected or is there another problem I need to be treating? She seems otherwise healthy and the coloring of her vent area is normal. But this is fresh, red blood so I’ll continue to keep her separated until this is resolved. Just want to provide support for whatever need she has.

My 1-year old EE, Tonks, has had some vent issues lately. I posted for help on another thread (link below), which includes more details.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-with-bloody-cloaca.1464191/#post-24387733

Details: She prolapsed a few days ago and I’ve been treating it according to info found on threads here. This is my first prolapse experience, but she seems to be improving. I soaked her and put the prolapsed tissue back in several times the first 2 days, and she gradually stopped prolapsing. I’m checking on her, keeping area clean and spraying with Manuka Honey every few hours. The hen is separated from the flock and has unlimited access to electrolyte water. I give her soaked feed and some yogurt several times a day. She hasn’t laid or passed any deflated shells in several days and her poops mostly seem normal.

Current question: She hasn’t prolapsed in over 24 hours but she is bleeding some from the vent. I have found a few drops of red blood on the bottom of her cage and when I clean her, there are some small clots in the feathered area. Is this to be expected or is there another problem I need to be treating? She seems otherwise healthy and the coloring of her vent area is normal. But this is fresh, red blood so I’ll continue to keep her separated until this is resolved. Just want to provide support for whatever need she has.
How is your EE doing today? I'll give you a bump to the top..

How is your EE doing today? I'll give you a bump to the top..
Thank you. She hasn’t laid an egg in about a week and has normal poops. Still a small amount of blood from the vent. I’ve seen her prolapse but by the time I get gloved and catch her, she’s got it back in herself. I assume that’s good news, but wish she weren’t prolapsing. She’s lost a good amount of weight, but seems perky and her comb is still very red. I wonder if she’s got some egg debris inside of her and if there’s anything I can do to get her back in working order. I welcome input for sure—this is a first for me.

Tony’s is doing poorly this evening. Panting, laying on her side, white slimy stuff dripping, won’t eat. I’m currently giving her a warm epsom soak, then will lubricate a gloved hand to check for stuck or malformed egg. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• BAC5169C-722D-4625-B888-8BA6B495C95E.jpeg
    BAC5169C-722D-4625-B888-8BA6B495C95E.jpeg
    626.8 KB · Views: 12
What would have ruptured? An egg or some of her parts? She’s definitely declined today. If she’s worse tomorrow, I’ll cull her so she doesn’t suffer. I’ve been treating her for two weeks now. She was better but now she’s not :(

I don't have a lot of experience with this but I'm going through it now with no bleeding. Having said that, I did read from some vet sites that when they prolapse the swelling of the tissue can tear or rupture is worse case situations. I do not believe there is a home cure for this other then stitches of some sort. Was a bit ago not sure what her status is now.

Tonks is no longer drippy, bloody or having a messy bum. She hasn’t laid an egg yet, but is happily out with the flock chickening around. She’s regained her wild ways so I haven’t recaught her lately to get a weight, but she looks good and is eating/drinking so I’m hopeful. Real test is when she lays again, so I’ll keep an eye out.

Tonks is no longer drippy, bloody or having a messy bum. She hasn’t laid an egg yet, but is happily out with the flock chickening around. She’s regained her wild ways so I haven’t recaught her lately to get a weight, but she looks good and is eating/drinking so I’m hopeful. Real test is when she lays again, so I’ll keep an eye out.
Thats so awesome! The sounds of it she was sadly on her way out, but what great news. XD

Back
Top Bottom