Vent swollen/red

Lubricate the vent area. A oil. Coconut oil is nice. She looks like someone was pecking her top side. And looks like her vent is not looking great. How long a ago did she lay a egg.
Do you know how to check for a egg?
I’ll make sure to get coconut oil on her when she dries. I don’t know how to check for an egg but I can look it up. Any tips?
As for the last time she laid...I really can’t say. This is all making me realize we aren’t as mindful with counting our eggs as we should be.

Lubricate the vent area. A oil. Coconut oil is nice. She looks like someone was pecking her top side. And looks like her vent is not looking great. How long a ago did she lay a egg.
Do you know how to check for a egg?
Side note, she is definitely pooping normal healthy poops. In the house, but otherwise totally normal.

You first can feel externally between her legs the very bottom of her vent too.
You should really try a soak. Sometimes the lukewarm water relaxes them. I’ve felt for eggs while underwater. Or lubricate a gloved fingertip into her vent aprox to your second nuckle. You might “tap” into one.

She eats a layer mix from the local farm store, scratch, grit, and oyster shell. Could their scratch be too fatty?

Also, general update: she took an epsom salt bath for 30 minutes (which she hated) and the got blow dried (which she loved.) She ate voraciously, and I gave her some extra calcium. She is pooping and drinking and eating away in the sick bay. I don’t want to put her back with the other girls in case they start pecking. She isn’t walking weird or acting like she is in pain, and she lets me touch the area with no complaints.

The only thing I haven’t done yet is stick a finger in her vent to check it out - I wanted to give both of us a break from all the fussing, but I’m mustering the courage to do it tomorrow during her next bath.

The odd part is her vent actually seems okay, so my title is now kind of misleading. All of the redness and swelling is below her vent, but doesn’t include it. I’m happy she is acting normally otherwise but I’m obviously very worried for her.

You’re doing great.

Treats should be a very small part of the diet, not a large portion. Scratch counts as a treat. My understanding is that it is the high carbs that get stored as fats, like in humans. Is the layer mix a crumble or pellet and not whole grains? The whole grain kind, like scratch and peck, can be problematic when a hen picks out only her favorite parts and leaves herself nutrient deficient, even though you have provided a complete feed. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
You’re doing great.

Treats should be a very small part of the diet, not a large portion. Scratch counts as a treat. My understanding is that it is the high carbs that get stored as fats, like in humans. Is the layer mix a crumble or pellet and not whole grains? The whole grain kinda, like scratch and peck, can be problematic when a hen picks out only her favorite parts and leaves herself nutrients t deficient, even though you have provided a complete feed. Does that make sense?
Yes, absolutely. I think I’ve been giving them WAY too much scratch because I was told to give them lots during the cold - I may be applying that advice way too liberally. Other than that they eat crumbles. In the event that it is a fat issue, is there anything that can be done for her?

Also thank you for the kind words - I’m (obviously) still new at this and feel terrible about doing anything wrong.

And not to scare you, but you should be aware that there can be dangerous consequences from letting g fat build up on your chickens. It’s fatty liver, that can lead to hemorrhage and death. Thankfully, you discovered it before anything bad happened.

I would like to know if any of my more experienced friends are in agreement or if there is something else we should be thinking about.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous @aart @dawg53 @Shadrach

Back
Top Bottom