Vent swollen/red

Nah...it was just from her rubbing her butt on the egg after it was laid in the nest.
Yeah, the blue marks on the egg are "feather fluff tracks". :lau
:lauSilly old Shadrach. He thinks the marks are from Blue-Kote inside the vent.:lau
Err no.:rolleyes:
Silly old Shadrach is aware that the marks are likely to be from feather contact on the egg.
Allow me to explain.
Of course, you will know the the vaginal wall of a hen is mobile and the hen can push the vaginal wall out through her vent some considerable distance, over an inch would be my guesstimate from the last time I saw this. You will of course know this from watching your own hens abort the sperm from an unwanted mating.
No doubt you've watched a hen lay an egg by somehow squeezing your head into one of those dark little nest boxes in your coops. Perhaps not but you're bound to have watched a video on the Internet.
I won't bore you with the complete sequence but the two pictures below should be adequate to make my point; which was, for those of you with short memories and itchy keyboard fingers, that I prefer to use water only for cleaning around a hens vent because of the risk of chemicals that may be suitable for external use being introduced into the oviduct.
So, when a hen lays an egg the vaginal wall gets pushed outwards as well as sideways as the egg progresses the length of her vagina. The egg is pushed out in a pulse motion, each pulse extending the vaginal wall. At a point just past the first picture there is a considerable amount of the vaginal wall now exposed to the outside environment and as you can see may come into contact with the eggs that she has organized beneath her, often by shuffling her rear end maneuver them into position. In this shuffling the eggs any chemicals around the vent area and the local feathering may get transfered to the eggs below.
P2011399.JPG

Once the egg has left the hens vent, the vent doesn't snap shut like a spring as the next picture illustrates. It can take up to 20 seconds (usually less from my observations) for the hens vent to retract her vagina and the vent shape return to normal. Some hens I've observed tend to squat on the eggs below while the vagina retracts. Once again anything that is on the surface of the eggs may come into contact with the retracting vagina wall and end up inside the vent when retraction is complete.
P2011400.JPG

You will have noticed that when a hen goes to lay an egg, one of the things she does while arranging any eggs below is to make sure the upper surfaces of the eggs are clean by either removing stuff like straw with her beak, but more often by polishing the tops of the eggs with what I describe as a belly, or bum shuffle.
There are chemicals, particularly astringents, some steroidal creams, Hydrogen peroxide, Betadine and others that are meant for external use only. My view is it is better not to risk such chemicals entering the oviduct.
Of course, you all know all this so I've probably wasted my time typing this out and providing a couple of pictures.;)

Last edited:
How’s your hen doing?
She’s basically the same! Still has some redness and swelling, still acting like nothing in the world is wrong. I have an appointment for an avian vet Saturday in case it gets worse or doesn’t get any better. I know that’s gotta sound crazy to some people, but I figure if it’s water belly I would like someone to show me how to drain it properly because I’d have to do that moving forward, and if it’s something else he can at least show me in person how to do a good physical health check (YouTube is great but hands on learning is always easier for me.) So right now I’m just kind of waiting and seeing what happens before then. Thanks for asking! Everyone here is amazing.

She’s basically the same! Still has some redness and swelling, still acting like nothing in the world is wrong. I have an appointment for an avian vet Saturday in case it gets worse or doesn’t get any better. I know that’s gotta sound crazy to some people, but I figure if it’s water belly I would like someone to show me how to drain it properly because I’d have to do that moving forward, and if it’s something else he can at least show me in person how to do a good physical health check (YouTube is great but hands on learning is always easier for me.) So right now I’m just kind of waiting and seeing what happens before then. Thanks for asking! Everyone here is amazing.
Hope it gets better, sending hugs:hugs:hugs:love

I personally would not attempt draining it myself yet, as you can (unnecessarily) introduce bacteria into the body cavity. If she is acting completely normal, I’d give her some time off treats and see how she does. However, if you have the means of taking her to an avian vet, by all means, go for it! If it needs draining, the avian vet can do that. Minimally, they should provide an ultrasound in addition to an exam. If you go the vet, let us know what you learn.

I personally would not attempt draining it myself yet, as you can (unnecessarily) introduce bacteria into the body cavity. If she is acting completely normal, I’d give her some time off treats and see how she does. However, if you have the means of taking her to an avian vet, by all means, go for it! If it needs draining, the avian vet can do that. Minimally, they should provide an ultrasound in addition to an exam. If you go the vet, let us know what you learn.

I agree, I would not drain unless the hen is in a state of decline. Draining is a lifesaving and supportive care measure, it should not be used on a hen that is active, eating/drinking and still laying eggs.

I agree, I would not drain unless the hen is in a state of decline. Draining is a lifesaving and supportive care measure, it should not be used on a hen that is active, eating/drinking and still laying eggs.
Do you think that I should take her to the vet? I have read a lot of accounts of vets draining the area and tbh I think an avian vet who is more used to pet birds will probably decide to do it. I know from the vet my dog sees that vets are often learning their approaches from the internet too (my dog’s vet is amazing but my dog is a medical marvel who is essentially allergic to herself so we learn a lot together.) It’s not like I have the money to throw around for an avian vet all the time, but I thought it could be educational. Now I’m a little nervous about it.

Do you think that I should take her to the vet? I have read a lot of accounts of vets draining the area and tbh I think an avian vet who is more used to pet birds will probably decide to do it. I know from the vet my dog sees that vets are often learning their approaches from the internet too (my dog’s vet is amazing but my dog is a medical marvel who is essentially allergic to herself so we learn a lot together.) It’s not like I have the money to throw around for an avian vet all the time, but I thought it could be educational. Now I’m a little nervous about it.
Sure, take her to the vet and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom