ventilation/light/access

The Camo Bulldog

Chirping
5 Years
May 31, 2017
needing a little advice; I have an old shed on my property which I previously used as a chicken coop but my chickens weren't laying, presumably because there isn't very much light, and there isn't much ventilation. It's completely metal except for half of the side facing their run, which is wood that is rotting away.
coop.jpg
I'm wanting to put in fencing or something else to replace the wood, but the problem with putting in fencing is I'm not thinking of a way to attach the fencing to the rest of the metal building? Also, I previously used an old hole where there was a window for their access to the coop, obviously if I take out the wooden section than the hole will go away. What are your suggestions for how to deal with this? I am also on a very tight budget.

Also, I didn't build this shed and I'm not sure what it's original purpose was, the previous owners of the property where a bit strange.

needing a little advice; I have an old shed on my property which I previously used as a chicken coop but my chickens weren't laying, presumably because there isn't very much light, and there isn't much ventilation. It's completely metal except for half of the side facing their run, which is wood that is rotting away. View attachment 1030082 I'm wanting to put in fencing or something else to replace the wood, but the problem with putting in fencing is I'm not thinking of a way to attach the fencing to the rest of the metal building? Also, I previously used an old hole where there was a window for their access to the coop, obviously if I take out the wooden section than the hole will go away. What are your suggestions for how to deal with this? I am also on a very tight budget.

Also, I didn't build this shed and I'm not sure what it's original purpose was, the previous owners of the property where a bit strange.
I would get some 2" screws and some 2x4's make a framework out of the 2x4's the same size as the old wooden wall. take out the wood wall. screw the metal siding to the 2x4's then stretch some 2"x2" welded wire (often sold as garden wire.) across the the framework.
dont use the hex shaped "chicken" wire as it is not predator proof.

I would get some 2" screws and some 2x4's make a framework out of the 2x4's the same size as the old wooden wall. take out the wood wall. screw the metal siding to the 2x4's then stretch some 2"x2" welded wire (often sold as garden wire.) across the the framework.
dont use the hex shaped "chicken" wire as it is not predator proof.
The 2x4 frame is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that! :)

Back
Top Bottom