ventilation

My ducks are fresh air fiends, and I have read that their little lungs are susceptible to problems from too much damp, still air (which probably contains more in the way of mold spores and possibly ammonia fumes).

The entire top of their spring/summer/fall house is open, covered with half inch hardware cloth to keep predators out. I did add a plexiglass three-panel drop ceiling that can be opened or closed depending on nighttime temperature, but their sliding door is always open and the drop ceiling isn't air tight.

ETA And their house has an attached screened in porch.

Last edited:
THis had been a worry of mine! My new duck house is getting an air vent this week....but right now I just have windows open for them. In the winter, will the vent be enough or will I have to always have a window cracked, or do we need something even more??

thank you, my ducklings will be moving into thier outdoor coop in a couple of weeks, I want them to be cozy, but i will drill some holes in the sleeping compartment to air it for them
big_smile.png

Quote:
I suggest a vent in the higest point to let the hot air out summer or winter. In the winter you want to avoid drafts so your vents want to be above the ducks and high enough so they aren't blocked by snow drifts.~gd

Quote:
In the summer I have the windows in the duckbarn and goosehouse open all the way and several fans pushing air around. In the winter I keep the windows cracked about an inch or two in addition to their soffit vents. I allow the bedding straw to compost-in-place throughout the winter so that as the old straw breaks down it releases heat to the floor. Keeps the straw from freezing when it's below zero.

From what i have understood they do. I have permeant vents in the upper area of my duck barn and then 3 windows.. i leave the door open during the day to lol

Quote:
In the summer I have the windows in the duckbarn and goosehouse open all the way and several fans pushing air around. In the winter I keep the windows cracked about an inch or two in addition to their soffit vents. I allow the bedding straw to compost-in-place throughout the winter so that as the old straw breaks down it releases heat to the floor. Keeps the straw from freezing when it's below zero.

I will have to try this with the straw....so what you mean is you just leave it there and add more straw on top throughout the winter?

Back
Top Bottom