Venting about Roosters

I might be in the minority but I believe there are places chicken just don’t belong like housing developments where yards are small and houses are too close together. When you live in a community like that you choose to be courteous to your neighbors if you Can’t then don’t live somewhere with close neighbors. The laws are there for a reason sometimes to keep the peace or property just not big enough to support or to protect the water tables.

I might be in the minority but I believe there are places chicken just don’t belong like housing developments where yards are small and houses are too close together. When you live in a community like that you choose to be courteous to your neighbors if you Can’t then don’t live somewhere with close neighbors. The laws are there for a reason sometimes to keep the peace or property just not big enough to support or to protect the water tables.
That's why I moved to agricultural land so that I could have the animals I want. My roosters get loud, but so don't the neighbors dogs. It's an even exchange.

I don't believe chickens belong in housing developments cramped in a run. Most developments don't have enough land for livestock animals.

I have nothing against developments that do have the area for livestock.

Last edited:

Well, to be honest, if it were between the neighbors having hens in a coop in the backyard where they stay, or having a neighbor with free-roaming cats that are always coming into my yard and pooping, I'd choose the chickens in the coop any day. The funny thing is that most neighbors who are NOT courteous have free-roaming dogs and cats, not chickens. I know, because my neighborhood is full of such neighbors. My chickens are quiet, and don't go into anyone's yard. My neighbor's dogs and cats? Not so much.

Well, to be honest, if it were between the neighbors having hens in a coop in the backyard where they stay, or having a neighbor with free-roaming cats that are always coming into my yard and pooping, I'd choose the chickens in the coop any day. The funny thing is that most neighbors who are NOT courteous have free-roaming dogs and cats, not chickens. I know, because my neighborhood is full of such neighbors. My chickens are quiet, and don't go into anyone's yard. My neighbor's dogs and cats? Not so much.
My neighbors have free range dogs and cats :lol: I'd rather free range chickens roaming in my yard. Dogs and cats do a lot of damage!

My wife kept me and her two girls so I guess a rooster is good for something after all. And for the record she quit trying to change me about a year after we were married.

Hmm, the Princess must regard me as a 'work in progress'. 55 years and she is still working on modifying my behavior.

I have roosters sometimes and even order some, then process them. I try and keep a nice rooster and I groom him to be wonderful. I do not have problems with my roosters as some people do, but I get a bunch, then sometimes keep a nice one. The last one I had, was Sargent, he was a BR, he was calm and I could hold him. at 7 months he just started to crow and was servicing my hens before then. One hen a LO was getting pretty roughed up, and the crow collar was not working, and at this point I don't need chicks so I processed him. I do have one in the wings a 12 week old RIR (now I don't want that kind and he may be processed when he is older, but he is small-ish so I am keeping him for now. I like my roosters to be med. sized RIR and BR are larger than I would want. A nice size would be an Isbar or under 6lbs. Eventually I have a EE rooster (2 weeks old) that will be old enough in the spring to get me chicks.

Thank you for posting this. When I first started raising a flock, I ended up with 3 cockerels and they did not get along. I found a family with a great many hens that wanted to start raising their own chicks. POOF the problem was solved. It does make me sad that so many people want to keep animals (of any kind) but are totally unprepared for the what-if's. Collars are terrible- I'd no more put one on my rooster than I'd put a shock collar on one of my dogs. Irresponsible people make it so much more difficult for the rest of us to live in so many ways. End of sermon

Thank you for posting this. When I first started raising a flock, I ended up with 3 cockerels and they did not get along. I found a family with a great many hens that wanted to start raising their own chicks. POOF the problem was solved. It does make me sad that so many people want to keep animals (of any kind) but are totally unprepared for the what-if's. Collars are terrible- I'd no more put one on my rooster than I'd put a shock collar on one of my dogs. Irresponsible people make it so much more difficult for the rest of us to live in so many ways. End of sermon
I don't mind shock collars for invisible fences my parents use one, but theirs is set to beep then vibrate then shock. Their dogs never get shocked. It takes a really stubborn dog to get shocked on their fencing system.

I see chickens as livestock not pets, they provide food. Yeah, I have my attachments to my layer flock, but they supply a food source (eggs).

Back
Top Bottom