Venting about Roosters

Pics
We moved to the country so that I could do roosters better. Now we're dual purpose and I can do the whole chicken lifespan justice, as well as be my own supplier. With changing over to dual purpose, now I HAVE to hatch at least 80 cockerels a year.
We just did our dual purpose. We crossed our jersey giant roosters with our dual purpose hens and pullets... This is what we got.

How big is your family? Just using it for reference on how many we should plan on butchering per year.

IMG_20191114_093357~2.jpg

Remember, folks, before being so critical: Sexed chicks are around 92% correct. That means that some people who really try, will end up with a roo. Agreed; MUCH research should be done BEFORE purchasing or receiving any animal. Disagree about ALL aggressive; capons aren't. Yes, I had a backup home for roos before I bought chicks, but I was VERY lucky to find one. Years later, I had to kill one, and yes I was very unhappy about it. However--I have extensive experience with animals (I rescue) and I work in surgery. You can't expect the average city person to be at all comfortable with killing a bird, as they aren't sure they can do it properly and humanely. Why not pullets? Many of us HAVE to live in the city, for various reasons, even if we are dying to live elsewhere. Should we never be able to have a chick?

I love the country! I'll NEVER be a city girl! My parents moved me to the city as a teen and I HATED it. I finally got married and moved to the country... I love seeing fireflies, stars, and hearing nature! Plus roosters crowing every morning. Country life is the ONLY life worth living!
I’ve been a city boy but been in the country for almost 30 years now. Cities are nice to visit but never want to live there again. John Denver was right: “Thank God I’m a Country Boy”

Remember, folks, before being so critical: Sexed chicks are around 92% correct. That means that some people who really try, will end up with a roo. Agreed; MUCH research should be done BEFORE purchasing or receiving any animal. Disagree about ALL aggressive; capons aren't. Yes, I had a backup home for roos before I bought chicks, but I was VERY lucky to find one. Years later, I had to kill one, and yes I was very unhappy about it. However--I have extensive experience with animals (I rescue) and I work in surgery. You can't expect the average city person to be at all comfortable with killing a bird, as they aren't sure they can do it properly and humanely. Why not pullets? Many of us HAVE to live in the city, for various reasons, even if we are dying to live elsewhere. Should we never be able to have a chick?
Remember everyone has an opinion and mine isn't wrong at all. We travel over an hour to get to work one way, it's a choice we all make to where we live. I feel like uneducated people ruin it for the rest for the most part. When you have people who are keeping roosters in areas that they are banned, they are ruining it for others. I'm completely against people keeping roosters in an area they are not allowed and using torturous devices on those animals to make sure they get away with breaking the law... It's completely wrong!

I’ve been a city boy but been in the country for almost 30 years now. Cities are nice to visit but never want to live there again. John Denver was right: “Thank God I’m a Country Boy”
It's freezing today :barnieyou would probably laugh at the weather here! We are putting up insulation in the coop and I was out there for only an hour and my toes are frozen :gigits 41 outside. I seriously could not handle New Hampshire weather! We called my husband's mom who lives in New Hampshire the other day and she was telling us how cold it is. She always laughs at me because I think anything under 70 is cold!

It's freezing today :barnieyou would probably laugh at the weather here! We are putting up insulation in the coop and I was out there for only an hour and my toes are frozen :gigits 41 outside. I seriously could not handle New Hampshire weather! We called my husband's mom who lives in New Hampshire the other day and she was telling us how cold it is. She always laughs at me because I think anything under 70 is cold!
We’re up to 17f already! But I dress for it so I can handle almost any temp. The one thing I can say I’d that after getting knee replacements, I’m more cautious of the temps. There’s been a few times where I allowed the metal in my knees to get cold, and after that it took hours to get warm again.

Back
Top Bottom