Very Bad Day :( Lost one, 2 missing...UPDATE Zelda and Wally are home

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pumpkinpup, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I went out to gather eggs and discovered one of my two large fowl splash cochin hens laying on her belly, gasping and drooling with blood gushing from her vent. In the nest was a horribly bloody egg.
    She had already lost a ton of blood and was trembling from pain so I went ahead and put her out of her misery.
    I know I did the correct thing but still feel terrible that this was necessary. [​IMG]
    My cohins are all just big pets and I breaks my heart to loose one this way [​IMG]
    I am wondering if she was egg bound and the egg burst inside her and cut her up or if she just had sucha hard time laying the egg she starined until she ruptured. I don't know what to think. I have never in all my years of chickens had to deal with this before now and pray I never have to again!

Updated to add: Not only have I had to cull one of my hens, now my silver marans are AWOL!
    I went out to close them up in their coop and they are not there! I have looked for over an hour and there is no trace of them. I saw them just before dark and now, nothing! [​IMG] I can't deal with much more stress today.
    My cat rejected one of her new born kittens this morning and it died and now these other two incidents. Today has been a really awful day for me all around!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. TXchick

TXchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    oh my gosh. that's awful. I posted a possible egg-bound issue today. I can't imagine having to put one out of her misery. You did the right thing. That sounded really painful. sorry you had to go throught that.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:I do so hope your girl is not egg bound and will be fine. Thanks for the kind words [​IMG] Good luck

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    [​IMG] Not a lot I can say will make you feel better, she's just lucky you could do that for her.

5. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry for your loss. You did the right thing. Take care.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's not easy to lose one of these terrific girls, but it's so hard knowing she is hurting like that. You did the kindest thing you could do for her, Robin. [​IMG]

7. BarnCoopGirl

BarnCoopGirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Oyama, British Columbia
    I am so sad for you:(

8. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jjthink