Very Bad Day :( Lost one, 2 missing...UPDATE Zelda and Wally are home

Pumpkinpup

Poultry Princess
12 Years
Jul 16, 2008
North-West Georgia
I went out to gather eggs and discovered one of my two large fowl splash cochin hens laying on her belly, gasping and drooling with blood gushing from her vent. In the nest was a horribly bloody egg.
She had already lost a ton of blood and was trembling from pain so I went ahead and put her out of her misery.
I know I did the correct thing but still feel terrible that this was necessary.
sad.png

My cohins are all just big pets and I breaks my heart to loose one this way
hit.gif

I am wondering if she was egg bound and the egg burst inside her and cut her up or if she just had sucha hard time laying the egg she starined until she ruptured. I don't know what to think. I have never in all my years of chickens had to deal with this before now and pray I never have to again!

Updated to add: Not only have I had to cull one of my hens, now my silver marans are AWOL!
I went out to close them up in their coop and they are not there! I have looked for over an hour and there is no trace of them. I saw them just before dark and now, nothing!
hit.gif
I can't deal with much more stress today.
My cat rejected one of her new born kittens this morning and it died and now these other two incidents. Today has been a really awful day for me all around!

Last edited:
oh my gosh. that's awful. I posted a possible egg-bound issue today. I can't imagine having to put one out of her misery. You did the right thing. That sounded really painful. sorry you had to go throught that.

Back
Top Bottom