Very bad mites on my favourite rooster

Flythebirds

Hatching
Sep 1, 2021
My rooster tommy has some kind of mites all over him.his skin is all iterated and red and he is loosing a lot of feathers.I have tried treating him and the flock with a spray i got at the vet but it didn’t do anything.I love him a lot and he is uncomfortable.help!

My rooster tommy has some kind of mites all over him.his skin is all iterated and red and he is loosing a lot of feathers.I have tried treating him and the flock with a spray i got at the vet but it didn’t do anything.I love him a lot and he is uncomfortable.help!
Have you tried Permethrin dust and spray? Pictures? @Eggcessive is there a mite that cannot be killed with this? Any advice?

You can get the Permethrin Spray for the coop/run from TSC or any feed store, I'm assuming. If you spray at night you can spray/mist all the chickens on the roost at the same time. I would remove all shavings/nesting material and spray the nest boxes also.

There is a Garden & Poultry Dust (Permethrin) that can be used dusting the birds; especially under the wings and vent areas, nest boxes, shavings ... I also use Sevin 5% (rotating my monthly dusting of the chickens) although it's not recommended but it was years ago.

You can get the Permethrin Spray for the coop/run from TSC or any feed store, I'm assuming. If you spray at night you can spray/mist all the chickens on the roost at the same time. I would remove all shavings/nesting material and spray the nest boxes also.

There is a Garden & Poultry Dust (Permethrin) that can be used dusting the birds; especially under the wings and vent areas, nest boxes, shavings ... I also use Sevin 5% (rotating my monthly dusting of the chickens) although it's not recommended but it was years ago.
Thank you

I had a similar problem earlier this year, so I bought a tub of DE dust and puffed it everywhere in the coop, including the food and the birds themselves. I now use the stuff as a preventative in smaller quantities, but I was well pleased with the results. Within ten days the problem was gone and I haven't had a problem since.

Back
Top Bottom