very concerned about a few day old rescued duckling! need advice!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by megg902, Jun 10, 2011.

1. megg902

megg902 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bastrop
    I had to go to work today and the baby ducking that was rescued/given to me was left at home by himself all day. He had access to plenty of chick starter and water. But temps reached index of 100. I have no idea how to tell if he is eating or not or drinking or not. Im worried he may not be eating. Once I got home i went straight to check on him. He is very lethargic, where as yesterday he was running all over the place. For the first few minutes i was holding him today he acted like he couldnt hold his head up or keep his eyes open. I used a dropper and gave him some sugar water. Just a few drops and he is holding his head better now and actually chirping some. Its very low but i can hear it. But occasionally he looks kinda like he is going to pass out, just gets wobbly and his head droops.

I considered force feeding him, but honestly i have no idea how to do that. He is currently sitting in my lap, not much movement and eyes closed but he is still chirping. Ocassionally he will readjust his position, but overall way more still than yesterday. Do you think he is ok? Is there something more i can do other than keeping him the right temp and giving him water by hand? Can you force feed a duck? Sorry for all the questions i just really dont want the little guy to die......

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Keep me posted on how it's going.
    Did you get my PM? Just want to make sure you're supervising his swim.

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Go to a feed store and get Save-A-Chick im pretty sure it works with ducklings might check though oh also do u live in oklahoma?

4. megg902

megg902 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bastrop
    I live in Louisiana but the little guy didnt make it. [​IMG]

5. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Awwwwwww im swrry [​IMG] Why dont you go get u a couple little ducklings to cheer u up.

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:So sorry about that. [​IMG]

7. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I am so very sorry... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by