Very Concerned Pullet Losing Mobility

Ritakprkns

Chirping
Feb 18, 2023
I posted before as we thought our 9 week Polish pullet had an injured leg, possibly from being stepped on.
We separated her from the rest to give her time to regain her strength in her leg. She seemed to be improving a bit as she would take a few steps and then sit. She eats and is drinking but she seems to be losing the ability to walk. She will step backwards but is struggling. Her legs are not always under in a sitting position. Rather, the legs are spread out. As if she has no strength.
We are very concerned she may not regain her ability to walk.
Are there neurological problems that this breed can have that may affect them this way?
She eats grower/starter crumble. We gave her some nutra drench as my husband noticed that her crop is not very full. Maybe she’s not eating enough. Can’t get her to eat scrambled egg.
Please send me any information you may have. We don’t want to lose her. I’m scared. 🥺

Last edited:
For her joints you can give her Cosequin for cats. It has to be for cats though. ( I'm not sure why but the person that told me emphasized it very strongly to me.) Just sprinkle a capsule on her food when you can get her to eat. Nutri drench is really good. If you give it to her in large doses she can basically live on it for a bit. I've force fed mine with a syringe. Some chickens really like yogurt, that can be good for her crop. If her legs are splayed you can splint them together with self adhesive athletic tape. Other than that my only advice is to take her to the vet.
I hope she gets better.

For her joints you can give her Cosequin for cats. It has to be for cats though. ( I'm not sure why but the person that told me emphasized it very strongly to me.) Just sprinkle a capsule on her food when you can get her to eat. Nutri drench is really good. If you give it to her in large doses she can basically live on it for a bit. I've force fed mine with a syringe. Some chickens really like yogurt, that can be good for her crop. If her legs are splayed you can splint them together with self adhesive athletic tape. Other than that my only advice is to take her to the vet.
I hope she gets better.
Thank you for all of your recommendations! So greatly appreciated as we want to do everything we can for her.

Back
Top Bottom