Very Confused Still About Incubator/Egg Turner

FunnyBunnies12

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
Cedar Springs, Michigan
Ok, still researching but won't the LG egg turner fit the eggs of my domestic mallard since she is a 3-4lb duck? I read that it's not for large duck eggs or goose eggs, they are 2 1/2 long no bigger maybe ever so slightly smaller then a large size chicken egg, more like medium grade chicken egg. I found a post back in April about this same question but not really an answer except to go for it. Can I still use this egg turner?? If so, how should I place them, someone at TSC told me to position them with the narrrow end of the egg down, and the fat side up. Please any suggestions, I really would like to use this egg turner if I can since they are not large duck eggs.

You cannot lay the eggs on the side in the cups of this turner. They will fall out once the turner is on its side position. This turner will have the eggs sitting on its tips, which reduces fertility by a lot in duck eggs. I guess you didn't read my last post where I already explained it.

i did read it, but I guess I misunderstood and was distracted by kids. So I should just lay them on the screen and hand turn them 3x a day. Glad I didn't listen to TSC. I will listen to you!
big_smile.png

Those sales people don't know anything. You know once you are doing it. They do have goose egg turners that are designed to hold the eggs on their sides. I've don't both turner and hand turning. It's not that bad hand turning. Do it when you get up, once in between and when you go to bed. Mist the eggs once per day with warm water.
BTW you can use tab water, but it will leave lime deposits in the tray. I simply use a toothbrush to scrub them off once done using the incubator. So no big deal. Also always refill with 100 degree water, so you don't have a long term temp drop in the incubator.

Same issue. Wafer technology with a knob to adjust the temperature. That is a very old technology for adjusting temperature, it has been around since the 1940s. They are touchy when it comes to keeping the temperature steady. Just bouncing against the table can make the temperature go way up and kill eggs. Or children play with it and then it is all messed up. The dial is so sensitive that people tap lightly with a pencil to get it right. This is the the same combo as the other site you have found before. Plus it does run on 110 internally, which means you can hurt yourself on the heating element if you don't watch. The newer ones run on 12 volts internally (still have a 110 plug for the outlet), and are preset so you don't even have to dial in the temperature. This is the lowest model the manufacturer makes, the only upgrade is the turbo fan. I know you are trying to save money, but in the long run you will be rather unhappy with the cheaper ones.

I would go with the manufacturer, because you have less of an issue if something is wrong. The motor in my egg turner broke and all I did was email the manufacturer with my order number and they mailed out a replacement right away. The manufacturer is:
http://www.gqfmfg.com

That's the one I have and love it. You never have to adjust the temperature at all. The only downside is the Styrofoam, because it will get dirty and wear out over time. I've had several hatches and it is still fine. Good news is that you can buy a replacement Styrofoam box, if you need it. I found that Oxyclean works well for the dirt. It gets dirty when they hatch. BTW the goose egg turner can also be used with chicken eggs. Simply unscrew the wire basket and below are chicken egg cups. Perhaps you want to hatch some chicken eggs down the road. Some people have hatched store bought chicken eggs that said free range organic on the box.
cool.png

Also go to Walmart and buy a cheap $8 thermometer/hygrometer. It helps with the humidity setup. The temperature reading will vary a little bit with the location in the incubator, so don't sweat it. I usually fill the center and at hatching time every cavity with water.

Also remember you will need to have a brooder ready when they hatch.

Last edited:
Thank you ever so much for all your help!! I have greatly appreciated your prompt response. Do you know how long shipping could be with it being Labor day weekend or on any typical given day? Are they pretty prompt?
And what the heck is a brooder??? I thought they hatch in the incubator and a brooder was a female duck! Oh do I have a lot to learn, and you can actually hatch chicken eggs from stores???

Back
Top Bottom