Very green poop! What to do?

BreakneckRedneck

Chirping
Jun 27, 2022
Hi all! I am back regarding Cheeseburger. I noticed today the spot under where she roosts is covered in very green poop. No other regular roosting spot has this, so it is only her. I am concerned as I’m reading other articles saying their hens died after similar symptoms. What should I do?? Does anyone know what might be causing this? Cheeseburger is a bit lethargic, but still getting around normally with the flock for the most part. She has had some crop back up lately as well. Can not be an egg issue as she has never laid. Any help is greatly appreciated! I’m worried for my dear friend!

Attachments

• IMG_0984.jpeg
    IMG_0984.jpeg
    884.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0985.jpeg
    IMG_0985.jpeg
    937.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0981.jpeg
    IMG_0981.jpeg
    870.6 KB · Views: 17
Hi all! I am back regarding Cheeseburger. I noticed today the spot under where she roosts is covered in very green poop. No other regular roosting spot has this, so it is only her. I am concerned as I’m reading other articles saying their hens died after similar symptoms. What should I do?? Does anyone know what might be causing this? Cheeseburger is a bit lethargic, but still getting around normally with the flock for the most part. She has had some crop back up lately as well. Can not be an egg issue as she has never laid. Any help is greatly appreciated! I’m worried for my dear friend!
*Following* we had this issue with one of our ducks but it just randomly stopped!

What is her diet? How's her crop feel?
She free ranges most of the day, and in the coop everyone ordinarily gets kale, carrot shreds, cracked corn, oyster shells, oats, and dried mealworms. Other things intermittently, but nothing out of the ordinary that would cause this color as far as I know. Her crop was full at bed time, soft enough to move but chunky. Not rock solid and not overly squishy. I gave her a bit of a massage as she’s been having problems with it emptying

She free ranges most of the day, and in the coop everyone ordinarily gets kale, carrot shreds, cracked corn, oyster shells, oats, and dried mealworms. Other things intermittently, but nothing out of the ordinary that would cause this color as far as I know. Her crop was full at bed time, soft enough to move but chunky. Not rock solid and not overly squishy. I gave her a bit of a massage as she’s been having problems with it emptying
Any real feed at all? These are all considered treats and while fine in moderation, they don't have all the nutrients chickens desperately need.
Green poop us a sign of not getting enough to eat or there's a system blockage.
Any red cabbage or berries?

I agree, she should be fed mash or pellets as they are nutritionally complete for most of the day then give her the other food as treats in the late afternoon or early evening so most of her food comes from the pellets, meal or mash. My hens love mash made with warm water like porridge and have treats around 4pm. In the winter before they go to bed I give them warm porridge with some fruit and coconut oil added a couple of times a week. Once a week I make it with milk. I also give them a few handfuls of mealworms for added protein or a can of dog food occasionally especially over winter. Everybody jokes that my hens eat better than us!!

Back
Top Bottom