VERY LONELY CHICK

brittanyhen

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
We have only managed to hatch one chick in our incubator this time and the poor little thing is very lonely. We have a chicken that went broody about 2 days ago. Is there any possibility that she might look after the chick. Don't want to put the chick in danger by trying so thought I would seek your advice.

It really all depends on the chicken--most chickens don't care for other chicks that they didn't hatch out themselves and every once in awhile, I've seen it work. Have you thought of just finding her a chick friend? Where do you live? I bet if you post to everyone in just search of a chick or two around the same age, you might have better success. If you do decide to try out the chicken and chick thing, you might want to do it when you have a good hour to sit and observe and be ready to intervene. Good luck!!!
smile.png

I give chicks to broody hens all the time, but ONLY after they have had their chicks hatch. I actually set a hatch if I see a hen go broody just so I can give her the babies, and not have to clean a brooder.
lol.png
I don't think I would try giving her your baby at this stage. If she had been sitting for 21 days you might try it. I agree, try to find another chick somewhere.

Last edited:
for now put a stuffed animal in the brooder with it. Do you have a special needs chick that cant be with the others? those work usually great as buddys. I just hatched a loner three weeks ago who is now with my special needs chick.

Sorry for the delay in posting this reply but not quite got the hang of it yet. Spoke to a lady locally to me she said wait until dusk then slip the chick under the broody hen which we did. Following morning mum and and chick as happy as larry, she is a very good mum so this method does work she had only been broody for about 2 or 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom