Very noisy bantam chicks- Help!

Thanks! Yeah, in the future I'll definitely go for a heating pad, the lamp seems to make this more difficult for no good reason, haha.
Ahh that's a good idea! We have a big sliding glass door so we usually don't have the living room light on in the middle of the day, only around 6-7pm or so when the sun starts going down, so maybe if we didn't leave any lights on nearby during the evening they would ease more naturally into it :)
They definitely respond to light. When I was growing up, we had a pet rooster who lived in our garage. Every time one of us came home at night, the light would go on and Purdue would crow. We tried all sorts of ways to hush him, so we could sneak in undetected, but Mom and the rooster always won. Then my mother told us, "When the cock crows three times, I know my babies are all home safe, and I can finally go to sleep." We never fussed at him again!

They definitely respond to light. When I was growing up, we had a pet rooster who lived in our garage. Every time one of us came home at night, the light would go on and Purdue would crow. We tried all sorts of ways to hush him, so we could sneak in undetected, but Mom and the rooster always won. Then my mother told us, "When the cock crows three times, I know my babies are all home safe, and I can finally go to sleep." We never fussed at him again!

That's fantastic :D sounds like a rooster watchdog(chicken), lol
Right now the chicks are peeping their little heads off, and the lights aren't even out yet X________X
They've been fine, normal, mostly quiet all day, but as soon as the sun sets, whether lights on in the house or off, they start going bonkers! Aghhhhhh!
* ESPECIALLY the little Japanese bantam guy, THAT one peeps literally NON-STOP at FULL volume endlessly! The others at least keep the volume down a little, and peep less consistently! *

UGH, now they started a new thing- the little Japanese dude and the tiny OEGB female just tried to fly to the top of the dog cage, and perch? on the bars?! They have a stick for roosting, they use it all the time! I dunno, they're definitely too old for this setup at this point, around 8 weeks old, we gotta get this new coop and run done ASAP, I don't want them to hurt themselves :/

*Update*
They seem to have finally relaxed a bit without any light/heat source, as long as we cover the huge cage on all sides with towels (to stop light from the kitchen/other places from interrupting their roosting/sleep time) they go to bed without freaking out now! Success!
Just in time too, because they're going outside very soon!

*Update*
They're outside, by the big girls coop :p.
We basically transformed the giant dog cage into a giant brooder slightly off the ground, with wire on all sides and some wood on the roof+sides for shade and protection from rain.
The big girls are very curious about the littles, and vice-versa!
In fact, our Polish chick was trying to peck at them through all the wire mesh (not possible lol)!
We're going to keep this current set-up until the new coop, run, and fenced-in yard area is all complete, then put them together for good. Look not touch until then!
The building is going good, floor and two walls done, hopefully we can get them together very soon :).

I've raised OEGB & bantams, found them to be more flighty & active.

I've read Polish tend to get their head feather plucked by the other chickens, that it's best to keep the Polish separate. A friend got some Polish chicks along with Light Brahma & Whitings, once the head feathers started coming in, they got plucked. She ended up having to separate them. Also if you original flock are LFs, keep a close eye when the bantams are integrated.

I've raised OEGB & bantams, found them to be more flighty & active.

I've read Polish tend to get their head feather plucked by the other chickens, that it's best to keep the Polish separate. A friend got some Polish chicks along with Light Brahma & Whitings, once the head feathers started coming in, they got plucked. She ended up having to separate them. Also if you original flock are LFs, keep a close eye when the bantams are integrated.

I've read this as well, I already have plans for if that ever occurs, don't want my little babe getting feathers plucked :).
The bantams with her have left her head feathers alone, once they're all integrated with the big chickens I'll have to keep a close eye, for sure.

*Update*
Just a riff off my original question, the chicks are outside now, at least 8 weeks old, in a secure spot- but they still peep loudly and incessantly when the sun starts setting?
I wonder if they're attached to me/my family? While they were stuck inside, we were around them pretty much 24/7.
If it's just them still adjusting to no heat lamp + pure darkness at night, can anyone tell me how long it takes them to chill and relax, or why they get so loud and desperate sounding in the meantime?

Yup, they'll need to adjust to the dark & new surroundings. What's the set up like, picture? The "shrills" get your attention ... You could put a "huddle" box but give them at least a week to adjust. That's why the MHP converted me from the heat light ;)

*Update*
Just a riff off my original question, the chicks are outside now, at least 8 weeks old, in a secure spot- but they still peep loudly and incessantly when the sun starts setting?
I wonder if they're attached to me/my family? While they were stuck inside, we were around them pretty much 24/7.
If it's just them still adjusting to no heat lamp + pure darkness at night, can anyone tell me how long it takes them to chill and relax, or why they get so loud and desperate sounding in the meantime?

Mine did the same thing when I put them outside for the first time. Again, it took a few weeks, but the peeping lessened. However, chickens all call at roosting time, so the dusk-time calling will never entirely stop. Mine are about 12 weeks old now and have gotten their adult voices, and they still talk to each other at dusk. It's a different sound than their daytime sounds. My Australorp makes a gobbling sound at roost time. Her name is Thyme, but I started calling her Turkey Thyme because she sounds like a turkey.

Anyway, don't worry! It sounds like everything is completely normal. Of course your chickens are attached to you and your family, which is why you'll want to spend some quality play time with them each day, if you intend to keep them as pets. If not, then they'll be content to see you all whenever you feed/water/clean.

Back
Top Bottom