Very sad day... I lost 12 Ancona ducks to hunters on POSTED land.

hugs.gif
So sorry for your losses.

Around these mountains people feel they have a right to trespass if they want to hunt, they will even say, well my grandaddy hunted on this property and my daddy so will I. Not everyone feels this way but a big majority do. I have been out hiking and came across 2 hunters with their dog on our property and they were telling me it belonged to their uncle. Some just do not respect others property never have never will. Pretty obvious your ducks weren't wild.

Sounds like you have a lazy game warden in your area. Hopefully, the sheriff will be a little more sympathetic. Perhaps contact the local media?

I don't know how it can't be against the law to kill other people's pets and livestock and how it can't be against the law to kill 17 of anything in one day.

Some people do not care about private property or people's pets. Obviously, your ducks look NOTHING like any wild ducks found in nature. People don't have to own domestic ducks to be able to tell them apart from, say, a mallard. Some people do what they want with no regard for others. Perhaps the "hunter" posts on online hunting sites. Maybe he/she would be stupid enough to post pictures of his/her "kill". That is how some moron bragging about fishing illegally in Texas got caught. Other fishermen ratted him out to authorities. You might get lucky. If the "hunter" is dumb enough to hunt domestic ducks illegally on your property, he may leave an online trail documenting it.

I am not sure how much support your local law enforcement will offer. If you emphasize the trespassing, theft and animal cruelty to pets aspects, they might pay some attention. Some local Humane Societies might offer investigative assistance. Some states have laws on the books against animal cruelty to pets.

We hope you do rebuild your flock soon. We are all so sad about your loss. : (

My heart breaks for you and those 17 angels. Keep an eye on the remaining in case those creeps come back. I believe in karma!!

The only way to keep your birds safe is to keep them confined. In the situation that was described, if it wasn't something like this, predators would have surely gotten them sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom