Very sad day... I lost 12 Ancona ducks to hunters on POSTED land.

All remaining ducks have been mooved into the coop for their own protection. I will have to make a coop for them next year. Especially if I am going to rebuild my flock.

I hate to say it but I am sure it was a planned attack on your ducks. Get a game camera and hide it well, that is what I did when a man tried to call in my pet turkeys one afternoon.

Im a hunter and I'm sorry for your loss. I can say that in most sates as a hunter we are requested to remove non native species when we encounter them. The main question arises is. Was the hunter on land he was given permission to hunt and was the fowl on land you was given permission to keep them on. Please do not take my post the wrong way, it is very painful to lose a pet to an inconsiderate other and judging by finding spent shell casings(thats a sure way to not get invited back to hunt a private area) in the area they are not the best of sportsman. I live in Fl. and from time to time Florida fish and wildlife conservation commision ask for local hunters to help remove muscove ducks and fallow deer wich are not native to this area. Your best recourse at this point is make contact with the land owner and show him the spent casings then request your local Fish and Game department investigate. Most hunters will not have the taxidermist mount a non game species.

as celtic mentioned where was your dog when all of this happened?

and im confused how did someone kill 17 of your ducks if you only had 15 on the pond to begin with (and you mention 3 of them came to you)

I am sorry I am saying this, but I am doubting this story from the beginning.

15 cant become 17

if you had 15, three are left then 12 vanished.

did you find shell casings? They fall from shot guns when fired. Many hunters dont retrieve them.

you mentioned blood and feathers, this says it could have been any predator (fox, dog, cyote or human included)

holes in the story just dont equal the end

mentioned a great pyrenees..................then nothing of the dog

My great pyrs wont let anyone or thing harm their birds. My male would die defending them.

again sorry to doubt if it is true

I don't know the OP, personally, I assume she had permission to use the pond, if she didn't own the land herself. She said she had those ducks there for quite some time with no problem. It doesn't sound like the pond was hidden and was close to her home. The land was posted, she said.

I once read about someone shooting someone's Pekins because they wanted to train their dog to retrieve. I think it happened in a similar way it happened here. I think they were caught in the act or via a game cam. At first, they claimed it was a simple ID mistake, but fessed up to it later.

You should contact your local authorities and get them to check all the local Chinese food restaurants, as they have alot of duck dishes. I'm serious. Our local game warden said this is a real problem with asian food restaurant owners poaching game and even road kill (as was recently on the news). Since the carcasses of your ducks were taken, this points to someone who wanted the meat. Just kids playing around or being mean wouldn't have bothered to take the carcasses. were there any tire tracks? if so, take detailed pictures for comparison to any suspects that you come up with. btw, we're a good two hour drive from a town big enough to have a chinese restaurant, but that didn't deter the ones my game warden was speaking of. Or it could be someone local that knew your schedual.

I hope you catch them, that is just awful!

~ Aspen

That is awful. Real hunters practice good sportsmanship and shooting tame ducks is not that at all, cruel creeps. Surely that is at least trepassing (posted land) but I suppose local law enforcement either say they can't or won't do anything. I am so sorry for your loss. I have 1 Ancona and she is delightful.

That is awful. Real hunters practice good sportsmanship and shooting tame ducks is not that at all, cruel creeps. Surely that is at least trepassing (posted land) but I suppose local law enforcement either say they can't or won't do anything. I am so sorry for your loss. I have 1 Ancona and she is delightful.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom