Very Sick Chicken! Can't Seem to Pooh! Very Dirty Vent and Green Area Near Vent

JacobMaxwell

Songster
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
I really need some help fast. I just noticed a few hours ago that one of my hens was doing strange movements as if she was trying to pooh but couldn't. I also noticed that her vent was extremely dirty. All the feathers were covered in wet pooh. When I was cleaning her bum I noticed two small cuts near the vent, one of which had a green colour around it. She is still straining to get a pooh out and hasn't pooped at all.

What should I do?

Please help!

She may have what they call pasty butt. I'm not 100% sure but that happened to our duck. Take a warm wet rag and clean the area GENTLY, you don't want to scrub bc it can seriously hurt her. It will take a few days to get her completely cleaned up. But multiple times a day, take the warm wet rag and clean her. If it is not pasty butt, then honestly I have no idea :(

Update: She was just trying to push a pooh out when I saw her vent prolapsing! It went back in when she stopped pushing. Now I'm really worried. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

I am by no means an expert here and have never had this happen but with a lot of reading on this site it sounds like she may have had a broken egg inside her and trying to pass it, cuts may be from broken shells?
If so, soak her in warm Epsom salt for 20min. Make sure her vent is sub merged, and try to massage the area.
Do this at least once a day for about 5 days or until she seems normal.
I've heard that people have also tried to palpitate the vent by KY jelly and try to insert with finger in her vent to help get the chunks of broken egg out. I've never done that so I don't know. It is just what I've read here.

I'd put her on Tetracrycline, can purchase at Orcheilins or Tractor supply and only about $5 for a whole package. This is an antibiotic. She may have internal cuts too from the broken egg so she needs an antibiotic. If you have her in an area by herself and indoors, which I highly advise so other chickens won't peck at her or to prevent fly-strike(flies laying maggots on wound), add 1/4 tsp spoon to 1/4 gallon of water. Basically a 1/2 filled 1/2 gallon milk jug, if you have one. This should be enough treated water for about a week.

Again, I am no expert and I recommend that you read more on the subject from people who knows more about this or have experienced this and also double check my Tetracycline dosage mixture. I've only mixed this once before and not 100% sure.

That is a wonderful link LeciaBee.
I am new to Vetericyn via fly-strike and I can vouch that stuff works for keeping wounds free of germs and quick healing.

Last edited:
Her vent is now prolapsing. I honestly don't know what I should do as I don't have any of the supplies listed in the article on hand. Is there anything to do?

Her vent is now prolapsing. I honestly don't know what I should do as I don't have any of the supplies listed in the article on hand. Is there anything to do?
Has she been able to poop? her straining could indicate egg bound. Soak her bottom in warm water. Put on a pair of gloves,you need to do a cloacal exam. Giving a link explaining how to do it. Read post #3 Clean wounds they may be infected,apply antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "cane/caine" toxic to chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/782874/egg-bound-chicken

Last edited:
Don't you have a Wal-Mart or even a gas station that might have Preparation H???
Wal-Mart sells Epsom salt too.
If you don't have Veterycin, just use Triple antibiotic cream (without pain relieve).
Also at Wal-Mart in the band aid section get the large wrap stuff that has some tack to it. Usually comes bright colors of Orange or Pink.
At least soak her in warm water, crumble some tums or calcium pills for her to eat in her food for extra calcium. I would think you'd have this in your cupboard?
Like the link above said that LeciaBee sent, wrap something around her to hold it in.
Here is a link from that link on photos and how to wrap her up. http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx
Here is a link that you can get ideas, but I think they won't work as good and likely waisting time that you could have taken to go to the store.
http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Swelling

I guess it all depends on how much time and effort you want to put into saving your hen.
If you want to treat her properly you need to go to the store NOW!
List:
  1. Preparation H no pain killer in it.
  2. Epsom Salt
  3. Triple antibiotic cream no pain killer in it
  4. Large wrapping material for wrapping wounds or bandaging (usually bright colored)
  5. Also some big square white bandage material to put on her vent prior to wrapping her up. See link above

Has she been able to poop? her straining could indicate egg bound. Soak her bottom in warm water. Put on a pair of gloves,you need to do a cloacal exam. Giving a link explaining how to do it. Read post #3

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/782874/egg-bound-chicken
Luckily, after a nice warm bath the prolapse went back in. She still hasn't pooped yet so I think egg binding is a possibility. Right now it's past 10pm where I live, its dark outside and there's not much I can do. Do you think she can last till morning?

Back
Top Bottom