Very Sick Chicken Please help

I have an idea, may be poisoned from compost pile, I was babysitting my granddaughters dog and so did not let them out of their run , but they did did have access to the compost pile and so were spending alot of time in there. There are coffee grounds in there, and I have read that coffee can be toxic to chickens?
Bingo! You may have found your issue! Google says-

So, it raises the question – can chickens eat coffee grounds if they come across them? The answer to this question is; No, chickens should not eat coffee grounds, coffee contains caffeine and methylxanthine, two compounds that are toxic and potentially harmful to chickens.

If they ate enough of the coffee grounds, that may have been what sickened these two chickens. Here's more info. https://chickenandchicksinfo.com/can-chickens-eat-coffee-grounds/

However, that may not be the only evil thing your chickens found in the compost. I suggest you take a look at the compost pile. Look for any deep excavations. Stir up the material, take a whiff. Does it smell rotten and is it slimy? Do you see any anaerobic insects at that level? Dig down a few more inches and see what you get.

If there is some very rank material, your chickens may have been sickened by Clostridium bacteria, in addition to the coffee. It can contaminate the insects living at that level of soil. If so, without immediate antibiotic treatment, more sick chickens may die. Clostridium can kill very quickly. It's a very nasty actor. You can usually get penicillin from feed stores.

Did you spray Durvet brand Permethrin recently? It contains Petroleum Distillates, and is toxic! It comical burned my birds so bad, and gave me a headache!
How awful. It's terrible having chickens sicken and die so suddenly, and you have no clue what's causing it. It requires some serious investigation, and the lives of your remaining flock may depend on finding the cause.

I've dealt with chickens dying from exposure to petroleum distillates, and that is what the symptoms your chicken is displaying reminds me of. Of course, it could be coccidiosis, an avian virus suddenly causing these chickens to become symptomatic, or one of the Clostridium bacterial infections. It's our task to try to narrow it down so we can hopefully prevent you losing more chickens.

I have questions that can maybe help us with clues if you can answer them. Do you have any yard machines leaking fluids onto the ground where your chickens like to hang out?

How about any recent painting, cleaning brushes with thinner?

Insecticide use?

How about car maintenance? Cooling system flushing or oil changes where some has spilled onto the ground were the chickens have been?

Clostridium. How about compost piles where there may be moldy or rotten veggies and fruit tossed. Perhaps the chickens have been digging quite deep and uncovered some rank, decaying material?

Coccidiosis. Has it been warm, wet, and humid? Have you imported any soil or borrowed any garden implements from someone from another locale? Has anyone visited your place that is from another locale that is always working in the soil, gardening or excavating wearing their work boots to your place?

Feed. Is it fresh? Has any become damp? Have your checked the feeders for mold?

There is a clue or two in there somewhere. Maybe a light will come on and you can give it to us.
I am highly suspect of the Compost pile, I do not use any insect repellent or service my own car, I am very careful about what I use and allow on my property, I use Diatomaceous earth in their coops and periodically have mixed into their feed. Normally they are a very healthy robust flock. I have ruled out almost everything by symptoms and sources, talked to a vet, and believe it may be Botulism. from of course being in the compost pile.

I am highly suspect of the Compost pile, I do not use any insect repellent or service my own car, I am very careful about what I use and allow on my property, I use Diatomaceous earth in their coops and periodically have mixed into their feed. Normally they are a very healthy robust flock. I have ruled out almost everything by symptoms and sources, talked to a vet, and believe it may be Botulism. from of course being in the compost pile.
DE, is not good for them to breath. It si basically little shards of material, built to stab bugs other then repel. You are basically feeding them microscopic shards of glass. It can cause lung issues, and is also very bad of you to breath. I don't think that is the root o your problem, but I would stop using that.

also could be
ah ha! Botulism!
I was literally just thinking that. get them out of that area immediately!

I've had a chicken die from Clostridium bacteria in a compost pile in less than 24 hours after exposure. It's essential to get the patient on an antibiotic ASAP. I use amoxicillin. It's broad spectrum and is robust at tackling that type of bacteria. Outcomes are very good if the antibiotic is started soon enough.

also could be

ah ha! Botulism!
I was literally just thinking that. get them out of that area immediately!
Thank you cooing dove and everyone,@Eggcessive @KranK @Weeg She is hanging in there. We have her resting comfortably, she has been taking water as offered in the cap of a water bottle. I gave her a shot of antibiotic about 4 hours ago, after talking with a vet friend, shortly afterward she layed an EGG!!! She still is not able to stand but she is holding her own.

Attachments

• 20201015_184848.jpg
    20201015_184848.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 8
They are away from the compost pile now. If you read above, then she says they ate the toxins when they were in the compost pile.
I have thoroughly cleaned all the water sources, and feeders and coops, and have disposed of all foo on hand and bought new food. I suspect the compost pile so am securing that so they can no longer access.

Back
Top Bottom