Very sick chickens

The best way to find out what is happening is with a necropsy through your state vet at Kissimmee or through U of FL. Here is a link of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
In the meantime look for mold in your feed, a blue green color, clumps, or an off-odor which can come up overnight from moisture or rain in the bag or can. Poisonous plants, a compost bed, insecticides or herbicides, are some other possibilities. Very sorry about your chickens.

The best way to find out what is happening is with a necropsy through your state vet at Kissimmee or through U of FL. Here is a link of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
In the meantime look for mold in your feed, a blue green color, clumps, or an off-odor which can come up overnight from moisture or rain in the bag or can. Poisonous plants, a compost bed, insecticides or herbicides, are some other possibilities. Very sorry about your chickens.
We have been giving them black oil sunflower seed.

Bodies for necropsy must be kept cold, not frozen, and either taken in person or shipped overnight by Fedex or UPS with a label from the state lab which they can send you.

I don't think it's mold poisoning. In my unfortune experience with it, the chicken will slowly become paralyzed until they die. Sort of like Mareks but slower.

I don't think it's mold poisoning. In my unfortune experience with it, the chicken will slowly become paralyzed until they die. Sort of like Mareks but slower.
I've never experienced it when I was educated enough to watch the symptoms. I've seen it kill quite quickly though. I wouldn't cross it off the list since OP did find mold in the coop.

We have been giving them black oil sunflower seed.
Fatty liver disease can also kill very quickly. BOSS is very high in fat. @U_Stormcrow described it in the past like taking a multi vitamin in a stick of butter each day.
I would cut that out immediately. Only feed vegetables and forage as treats. Those are healthy and beneficial treats that your girls will love just as much. Even making their feed into a mash is a welcome treat. They love it!

Fatty liver disease can also kill very quickly. BOSS is very high in fat. @U_Stormcrow described it in the past like taking a multi vitamin in a stick of butter each day.
I would cut that out immediately. Only feed vegetables and forage as treats. Those are healthy and beneficial treats that your girls will love just as much. Even making their feed into a mash is a welcome treat. They love it!
I didn't know that, thank you

Back
Top Bottom