Very sick chickens

I was also thinking AI but didn't want that to be the first suggestion.
Right before this, did you happen to notice a dramatic drop in water consumption? Where are you located? Did your birds happen to have any of these symptoms?
View attachment 3069967
I'm so sorry for your losses.

The best way too know what is happening is to send a body into your state lab for a necropsy. @Eggcessive had a list. Necropsy's are typically very cheep, usually one 35$ to get a bird tested. If you choose two go this route, keep the body refrigerated but not frozen.
We are in Tampa Bay Florida. We didn't notice a water consumption drop, but we really weren't watching closely. They are still making noise, but weakly.
did she stick a swab in its throat, then stir it around in a small vial of clear looking liquid, not water??? I'm in FL, the State lab turns AI samples from swabs around w/i about 48 hours of recieving the sample
I'm sorry, I don't know, she took the hen in the back.

We are in Tampa Bay Florida. We didn't notice a water consumption drop, but we really weren't watching closely. They are still making noise, but weakly.
Are you noticing any paralysis? Can they stand at all, or just weak? What do their crops feel like? What do you feed including treats? Is there a chance they could have gotten into a toxin? Mold possibly?

I'm sorry, I don't know, she took the hen in the back.
I just called the vet again and was told she doesn't work Tuesdays or Thursdays and I won't find anything out until tomorrow . Meanwhile my babies are dying and I can't help them. Have you heard of amantadine? I was reading about it being used to treat avian flu.

Are you noticing any paralysis? Can they stand at all, or just weak? What do their crops feel like? What do you feed including treats? Is there a chance they could have gotten into a toxin? Mold possibly?
They can stand, but very weakly. The sickest one cannot stand. Its like she is sleeping and can't wake up. She moves around every so often on her own. They are keeping they're eyes closed also.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for Avian Influenza. The source was incorrect. :(
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17897729/
Here's a study from 2008, discussing "amantadine resistance" among strains of avian influenza.

That strongly implies that it DID work against avian influenza in the past, at least somewhat.
(But quite likely does not work now, if someone was finding high levels of resistance 14 years ago.)

They can stand, but very weakly. The sickest one cannot stand. Its like she is sleeping and can't wake up. She moves around every so often on her own. They are keeping they're eyes closed also.
We feed them dumor chicken feed with sunflower seeds. We used to mix 5 grain crumble with it, but they were just eating the sunflower seeds. We have fed them the same food the whole time we have had them.

Back
Top Bottom