Very sick duck

Myab

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2020
I have a female penkin duck that is ab 2 years old. Last week I noticed that she was acting weird, looked tired but still kept up with the rest of the flock. Last Tuesday morning she didn’t come out of the coop w everyone to eat. She acted as if she couldn’t walk.
So I bought her inside, put her in the bathtub to float around and clean herself up. She was swimming fine acting fine but as soon as I took her out of the water, she wouldn’t stand on her feet. Her feet visually looks good, not hot to the touch looked fine.
Decided to take her to the vet and he said that she might have mereks disease. He sent me home with baytril and a pain medication for my duck.
I’m now on day 5 on the medication and it is not helping. My duck has stopped eating 3 days ago and stopped drinking since yesterday but is still pooping. Her poop is mint green. She still has movement of her legs, wings and neck. She’s votiminb water, her crop is bloated with how much water she has been drinking Over the past 4 days.
I’ve looked everything up and I cannot find a thing that matches her symptoms except her might being poisoned. I firmly believe that she was misdiagnosed due to not being paralyzed. But I can’t see her having toxins in her body as a possibility due to having clean water and non moldy food.
I’m in a pickle on what to do with my poor duck and I cannot sit here and watch her suffer. Thank you for reading my long post but I have no idea what do to.
Thank you!

She doesn't have any swelling or heat coming from her legs or feet? What do you feed her, including treats? Do you mind taking a video of what she does whenever you hold her body up and then slowly let her legs hold her weight? To share a video, you'll need to upload to a sharing site like YouTube or Vimeo and then share the link to the video here. I'm so sorry. Her flockmates aren't showing any issues?

Is your vet an Avian vet that has experience with ducks? Did he do any xrays? I wonder if she could have injured her back? When did she last lay an egg? I've heard of an egg pressing on a nerve that causes them to be unable to use their legs. Do you notice any smell to what's coming out of her mouth? She has to have water and food. You may want to talk to your vet about teaching you how to tube feed her.

@Crazy Maizie
@Miss Lydia
@Isaac 0
@HollowOfWisps

She doesn't have any swelling or heat coming from her legs or feet? What do you feed her, including treats? Do you mind taking a video of what she does whenever you hold her body up and then slowly let her legs hold her weight? To share a video, you'll need to upload to a sharing site like YouTube or Vimeo and then share the link to the video here. I'm so sorry. Her flockmates aren't showing any issues?
For the past couple months I’ve been switching between purina duck feed and nutrena nature wise all flock. None of my other birds are acting like she did, I did a full body examine of everyone and they seem fine but I’m also not a professional. Treats she hasn’t really had but I give them Cheerios
When I hold her up and place her on her feet, she would just immediately sit back down. She doesn’t make sounds or nothing.

Is your vet an Avian vet that has experience with ducks? Did he do any xrays? I wonder if she could have injured her back? When did she last lay an egg? I've heard of an egg pressing on a nerve that causes them to be unable to use their legs. Do you notice any smell to what's coming out of her mouth? She has to have water and food. You may want to talk to your vet about teaching you how to tube feed her.

@Crazy Maizie
@Miss Lydia
@Isaac 0
@HollowOfWisps
My vet is a normal vet he has a exotic animal license but honestly he doesn’t seem like he knows what he’s doing. He took a few glances at her and said oh this is might be this but I hope not. Which is why I’m second guessing him on this. I honestly do not know when the last time she laid an egg bc I have multiple ducks and I get about 16 eggs a week.

Ik this sounds gross but I’ve literally tried to smell her breath and I’ve looked at her poop and nothing smells out of the ordinary. I’ve been syringe feeding her but idk how well that’s going to get me

I live in central New York. I’m not sure if he does that or not. I plan on recalling him tomorrow so I’ll make sure I mention that. Thank you
Most likely culprits are respiratory, impacted crop, bound egg. Definitely keep a close eye and perhaps quarantine her. Helpful: VetRx, probiotics scrambled eggs & wet pellets, fresh yolky water, soft crop & booty massages.

Sadly…https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/02/avian-flu-scan-feb-28-2022

If any of the Avian Flu symptoms develop, it is EXTREMELY important for the sake of the rest of your flock and community to quarantine her asap, keep yourself sanitized after interacting with her, carefully use dropper of fresh yolky (&or supplements) water on beak to hydrate AND check with your vet and county disease center to see where to test her poop. And if she unfortunately passeds to send her too. :(

Hope she pulls through. 🙏🏼

The reason why vets can't always pinpoint certain diseases is because many of them have similar symptoms especially in birds. I would just do a follow up and advise him of what condition she is in and if any improvement has been made.

I have a female penkin duck that is ab 2 years old. Last week I noticed that she was acting weird, looked tired but still kept up with the rest of the flock. Last Tuesday morning she didn’t come out of the coop w everyone to eat. She acted as if she couldn’t walk.
So I bought her inside, put her in the bathtub to float around and clean herself up. She was swimming fine acting fine but as soon as I took her out of the water, she wouldn’t stand on her feet. Her feet visually looks good, not hot to the touch looked fine.
Decided to take her to the vet and he said that she might have mereks disease. He sent me home with baytril and a pain medication for my duck.
I’m now on day 5 on the medication and it is not helping. My duck has stopped eating 3 days ago and stopped drinking since yesterday but is still pooping. Her poop is mint green. She still has movement of her legs, wings and neck. She’s votiminb water, her crop is bloated with how much water she has been drinking Over the past 4 days.
I’ve looked everything up and I cannot find a thing that matches her symptoms except her might being poisoned. I firmly believe that she was misdiagnosed due to not being paralyzed. But I can’t see her having toxins in her body as a possibility due to having clean water and non moldy food.
I’m in a pickle on what to do with my poor duck and I cannot sit here and watch her suffer. Thank you for reading my long post but I have no idea what do to.
Thank you!
Hi, I live in PA and just had my duck to vet yesterday. Several days she was not herself then in the middle of night her legs became paralyzed so straight to vet. Hs said he feels Marick disease and there's no treatment. I had started activated charcoal hours prior when she lost leg ability. He gave me feeding tube and said to give charcoal 2×'s a day. Said she'll get better. As of today no sign of improvement. As well, everything I read seems to refer to chickens with marick & states they will die!?!? I also had another duck days prior start to lay her head way back and roll it in circle. I started her on charcoal and nutridrench immediately and her head rolling is all but done. Vet said to give her charcoal thru tube too. She is going to have hatched ducklings this week. All I'm reading they should be seperated. Vet knows eggs will hatch but said nothing about seperating!? At first I thought they had botulism with probable cause. Vet seemed to think that at first but said she doesn't have all he'd expect if it were botulism. I'm at a lost and wondering if my girl will get better! If she will gain her legs back? Do I need to seperate for ducklings to be? As anyone experienced this???

Back
Top Bottom