Very sick hen *poop picture*

AQHAchick22

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Averill Park, NY
This morning I found one of my hens laying in the coop with her eyes shut. I brought her inside, placed her under a heat lamp and tried to get her to eat a bit (yogurt and water with some nutri-drench). She ate barely any of it and I felt like she was about to pass away...very slow breathing and didn't want to keep her eyes open and wouldn't stand. I wrapped her in a towel and left her in a box in the warmth for the day, convinced that when I got home I would have a dead chicken.

Well I got home and she is still alive. She got the towel off herself and was looking around. I picked her up, put her on the ground and she actually stood and ate and drank a bit, and then actually walked over to the crate where I'm keeping a leghorn recovering from a leg injury.

Problem is she is clearly still very sick and had this bright green poop. I can't see worms but she's definitely losing weight. She's 2 years old and I don't see mites or lice.

Thoughts?!?!

(I am also searching through old threads but thought I might get a faster answer here. Worms? Infection?)

Last edited:
Can you take a poop sample to a vet and have it checked for bacteria and parasites? If I had to guess I would say nasty infection, maybe E. coli.

-Kathy

Can you take a poop sample to a vet and have it checked for bacteria and parasites? If I had to guess I would say nasty infection, maybe E. coli.

-Kathy

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm going to try to find a vet that is open tomorrow and will do that. I need to figure out something to do in the mean time...

Keep her warm... You could also try getting some sugar water into her. Do you know how to tube feed?

-Kathy
I have her down in the basement with the space heater (the room is close to 80 at this point) so I hope she's warm enough. I just tried to give her more food and water but she only took one small drink and seems to have no interest in the food..she just walked back into the crate and laid down.

I've read the threads on tube feeding but I'm nervous to try it. All that I have is an aquarium air tube that I smoothed out the edge on (no catheter one) but I'm thinking I'm going to have to give it a try...

Check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Start by giving maybe 10-30ml of warmed fluids (can add a little corn syrup) and see how well she tolerates that. Add more if her crop still feels pretty empty. Then repeat in 6-8 hours if her crop is clearing. The amount I aim for is about 30ml per 2.2 pounds every 6-8 hours, but when they are really sick they are more likely to vomit. Keep in mind that just handling her might be enough to send her over the edge. Do not force feed food until you're sure she is properly hydrated and warm

-Kathy

FWIW, just had a muscovy drake that was pooping like that, so I gave him a good dose of Safeguard, Baytril and metronidazole and he was almost 100% better in 24 hours.

-Kathy

FWIW, just had a muscovy drake that was pooping like that, so I gave him a good dose of Safeguard, Baytril and metronidazole and he was almost 100% better in 24 hours.

-Kathy

Thanks! I got some water down her (tube feeding was a lot easier than I had imagined!) and ill see how she is in the morning but I have a feeling I'm going to be running out for some more meds. I would rather try a few different things than not give it my best.

She didn't make it through the night
sad.png
I think she was just too far gone.

Thanks for your help
Sorry you lost her.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom