Very soft shelles egg.

Hopefully she is fine now. Is she the one that just started laying? Like was mentioned when the first begin to lay they can lay soft shell and smaller eggs till their system gets working normal. Mine eat the white oyster shell like it’s candy. Make sure to put it close by where their feed is. @DuckyDonna drilled holes in a container so when it rains the water drains out. I keep mine under the wood shed.

Yeah she seems to be back to normal. To celebrate getting it out she ran out and decided to chase all the other ducks around the yard which is something she has never done before 🤣
And yeah thats weird my girl Penguin eats the white ones no problem I guess I'll see if she eats any soon and if not I guess I'll try and find the gray kind. I'm also going to get that calcium gluconate from tsc tonight and ill give her a little of that
Good plan!!

Good plan!!
You might want to make something like this for your shells. I found it on a post on BYC. It's pretty easy to make but be sure to drill holes on the bottom for drainage unless you put it under a shelter.
FF7E5598-97DB-40CD-BDBB-EA30A99A4317.jpeg

She seems to be struggling to get her egg out today as well
I'm so sorry to hear this. Her body could be getting used to becoming a laying bird.

My vet told me that after the muscles have been straining so much they get enflamed and it is easier for another egg to get stuck when the passage is inflamed. That is part of why they gave me metacam.

Have you given her the calcium?

Have you given her the calcium?
No not yet I got it last night at tsc but it didn't come with any syringe so I'm on my way to Walmart right now to get one.

Oh, can you get her food for laying ducks? That will have extra calcium and be more robust and supportive for her body, too.
I've actually never seen a duck specific layer feed. I could try just getting some Layena and mixing it with her Purina duck feed 50/50?

Okay I just went to open the little coop I put her in so she could come out and be with her sisters if she wants. I found this little dented fairy egg in there! It's shell is a lot harder than the one I found this morning, I am not really sure where I could get any of the gray oyster shell you were talking about but I'll put mealworms on the piles of it that I have to try and attract her there.
TSC sell gray OS in a yellow bag. 40 lbs I think. Put it in a bowl near their food.

No not yet I got it last night at tsc but it didn't come with any syringe so I'm on my way to Walmart right now to get one.

I've actually never seen a duck specific layer feed. I could try just getting some Layena and mixing it with her Purina duck feed 50/50?
I feed Mazuri waterfowl breeder to my layers. I don't know if you can get it locally. I know you can get it on chewy. My local feed store special orders it for me. It's expensive but my ducks have better health since I switched. Even better lab results. I switched from layena.

I'm not sure about mixing with layena. I know members with mixed laying hen/drake flocks just feed maintenance food and offer oyster shells. Since my vet has been very insistent that I feed layer feed to my laying ducks, and because when they get soft shells she increases their vitamins and minerals, I was thinking maybe you should get a layer duck food.

Back
Top Bottom