Very soft shelles egg.

She laid one soft shelled egg, and then another one came out that was also soft shelled, but the soft shell was broken and it just came out as a yolk next to an empty soft shell

It seems like she is still trying to get something out, not sure if it is a 3rd egg or just a piece of the shell of the 2nd one

I got the calcium into her, should I just give her a dose of it every day? She was still able to poop when I put her in the tub but she seems to be struggling a lot to get whatever is in there right now out

Attachments

• 20210115_153927.jpg
    20210115_153927.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
I left the room for about 20 minutes and by the time I got back it seems like she has stopped doing that. She was sleeping while standing up. I don't see anything that she pushed out but I'm glad she doesn't seem to be distressed by it anymore.

She laid one soft shelled egg, and then another one came out that was also soft shelled, but the soft shell was broken and it just came out as a yolk next to an empty soft shell
I have seen that happen before, where the egg kind of "pops" right inside and the yolk and white leak out and then the contractions push out the soft shell out within a minute.

This happened to my duck, Nettle, who frequently has large misshaped eggs. The vet has decided she has a defective egg shell gland.

I think you are on the right track with getting them optimal nutrition. Mazuri was formulated by veterinary nutritionists. Eggs take a lot out of their bodies.

My vet had me give calcium once daily for 30 days whenever I had soft shell issues.

My laying ducks eat a few mouthfulls of food and then run over to their oyster shells and have a few bites of that. It does seem to help to have a bowl of shells next to their food bowl to help them associate it with food and also because they seem to want to eat the shells at the same time as regular food.

Oh, I just thought of this. It would likely be best to keep to a natural daylight schedule as much as possible. Since increased light will trigger her body to make even more eggs.

I know that can be hard when you want to monitor them as much as possible. But I would be very careful to put her in a dark, quiet coop as dusk is approaching.

No egg from her today, but she doesn't seem to be struggling to get anything out. I gave her another dose of the calcium today

Back
Top Bottom