Very Swollen Abdomen and Runny poop!

chelseachook

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
QLD, Australia
My cousin's 3 yr old hen has been like this for nearly a week. I went over and checked it today and it doesn't have sour crop. Apparently it hasn't been roosting and it has been waddling around with its tail down. Eating and drinking well though. Its butt feathers are covered in poop but the actual vent isn't blocked up. What is this and how can it be treated? Thanks :)

I am not any kind of expert, but water in the abdomen (ascites) can be caused by peritonitis where egg material builds up inside a chicken's abdomen and causes infection. That requires antibiotics ASAP. But I think it can be from heart problems and fatty liver disease.

The water can be drained using a needle. You might search for that on BYC. I'll see if I can find articles/videos, but my internet is crazy slow and links don't always load...

Edited to add that the swollen abdomen is a symptom. It'll keep coming back until whatever is causing it is cleared up. But draining will make the chicken more comfortable.

I am not any kind of expert, but water in the abdomen (ascites) can be caused by peritonitis where egg material builds up inside a chicken's abdomen and causes infection. That requires antibiotics ASAP. But I think it can be from heart problems and fatty liver disease.

The water can be drained using a needle. You might search for that on BYC. I'll see if I can find articles/videos, but my internet is crazy slow and links don't always load...

Edited to add that the swollen abdomen is a symptom. It'll keep coming back until whatever is causing it is cleared up. But draining will make the chicken more comfortable.
What antibiotics to use and how much? Also - how do I know for sure its ascites? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom