Very swollen eye

Jun 1, 2021
Hen with a very swollen eye! Any ideas what could be the cause and/or treatment? She does have a spot on the back of her comb that looks like she could have been pecked
IMG_4560.jpeg

Hen with a very swollen eye! Any ideas what could be the cause and/or treatment? She does have a spot on the back of her comb that looks like she could have been pecked
Any lesions inside the beak?

Scab on the back of the comb is old and healing. Likely from mating or being pecked at from a flock mate.

The eye looks to have some possible pus in the "back" corner. Front corner, hard to tell if it's torn a bit or if there's debris. Looks like a red injury/speck of blood in the eye.

I'd flush the eye with saline, open the eye really well to see if there's debris or pus in the eye, if there is, then press it out. Apply Terramycin in the eye or you can use Original Neosporin in a pinch.

Have you added any new birds recently?

1695007909829.png

Any lesions inside the beak?

Scab on the back of the comb is old and healing. Likely from mating or being pecked at from a flock mate.

The eye looks to have some possible pus in the "back" corner. Front corner, hard to tell if it's torn a bit or if there's debris. Looks like a red injury/speck of blood in the eye.

I'd flush the eye with saline, open the eye really well to see if there's debris or pus in the eye, if there is, then press it out. Apply Terramycin in the eye or you can use Original Neosporin in a pinch.

Have you added any new birds recently?

View attachment 3638468
I have not added any new birds. It is so tight it was hard to open much. I did exactly what you said. Flushed with saline and coated with Neosporin. It isn’t fevered feeling and it doesn’t smell infected. I tried to lightly squeeze to see if any puss come out but none did. She was drinking and walking around a little but didn’t roost last night. I’ll check her beak this morning. Thanks for the tips!!

It looks swollen but not infected. I would try a warm compress (warm wet washrag) on it for a couple of minutes and see if that doesn't help. I would be worried about identifying who is the bully too.
They’ve been out free ranging for several days, so there’s no telling what they may have gotten into. I also have some younger barred rocks, so between them and these feisty red heads, there’s no telling!

Hi- can I ask how she is getting on? Only because I have a buff Orpington with exactly the same symptoms and I am at a total loss! Thank you in advance

Hi- can I ask how she is getting on? Only because I have a buff Orpington with exactly the same symptoms and I am at a total loss! Thank you in advance
Welcome to BYC. You are welcome to start a new thread of your own here on the emergency forum, including pictures and symptoms. Many times a swollen eye can be a sign of a peck or a respiratory sinus infection. It can occur with or without other symptoms.
Click on the green box to start a thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Back
Top Bottom