VERY upset. Need a shoulder.

Your all in my prayers and a big thank you!
hugs.gif
If you want a watch dog you just need a yappy little dog to alert you someones here. A guard dog is either a trained dog or natural. We have mastiffs. They are natural guards. They do not warn us that's the watch dogs job. They just stand up and let the person know they are there. On the couple times we have had problems they stand between us and them. They have never had to do anything but that. But if you ever tried to harm one of us. They would using judgment react. They would take you down and hold you there until we called them off or they would kill you. We are the pack and they will die or kill for us. They have never had to react. Them just being there is enough. My mom could let the younger siblings play in the front yard knowing they were safe. We used bichon frise for watch dogs. Excellent watch dogs. My female in her youth was the most protective dog we owned. No one got near our family with her. Shes old now and can't hear as well so she shes not so great now. But I know she would still die for me. I don't have any good watch dogs now: th but the bond between us is strong enough that i know my lab would react if i needed him too. I would also suggest a lasa apso (sp?). They were bred to alert the mastiffs to a problem by the Tibetan monks.

Quote:
I think a dog is a good idea.

As with any dog, research the breed first. Lhasas tend to have a low tolerance for rowdy children. They need a lot of socialization around kids while they are puppies, and children need to well behaved around them. They are not lap dogs. They are not pack dogs either, so some of the behaviors and training techniques may not be the same as needed for other breeds. They have a very bad response to any negative training methods, and they do not forgive easily. They are extremey cute (see my avatar), but they have a guard dog temperament. Don't mistake them for lap dogs. They are playful, loving, loyal, smart, and often short tempered and able to hold a grudge. A very common breed characteristic is that they make snap judgements regarding strangers and are often very wary of them. On a bright note, they don't shed, are easy to housetrain and are known to only bark when a good guard dog should.

Quote:
I think a dog is a good idea.

As with any dog, research the breed first. Lhasas tend to have a low tolerance for rowdy children. They need a lot of socialization around kids while they are puppies, and children need to well behaved around them. They are not lap dogs. They are not pack dogs either, so some of the behaviors and training techniques may not be the same as needed for other breeds. They have a very bad response to any negative training methods, and they do not forgive easily. They are extremey cute (see my avatar), but they have a guard dog temperament. Don't mistake them for lap dogs. They are playful, loving, loyal, smart, and often short tempered and able to hold a grudge. A very common breed characteristic is that they make snap judgements regarding strangers and are often very wary of them. On a bright note, they don't shed, are easy to housetrain and are known to only bark when a good guard dog should.

Easy to house train? I thought lhasa apsos were one of the hardest to house train?

Quote:
Not any of the ones I know were difficult. They learn by positive reinforcement. Scolding and spanking will always backfire with them. Once they learn to associate going potty outside with a treat (later that can be replaced with praise), they will love to go outside. However, they don't always ask to go out. They are quiet and you may need to watch for when they are sitting by the door. We taught ours to ring a bell hanging on the door knob.

I don't know about lhasas and housebreaking - but I was told by more than one trainer that Bichons are one of the hardest to train - they are stubborn and have a low tolerance for bladder pressure. My 17 week old puppy can "hold it" longer than my 18 month old Bichon.

When my hubby left for Iraq we got a newfoundland/spaniel mix dog from the ARL as an alert dog. She is still good about alerting us to changes in the yard/house without constantly barking at everything.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Each post I read makes me feel a little bit better. I'm considering, in spring (when a whack job wouldn't have to hike 1/4 mile in thigh deep snow...) fencing in both the front door, the rear door and a side yard, and just letting the goose have those parts, so someone'd have to get past him... he's pretty loud when anyone comes around... he and the border collie are my first line of defense.. then it's the locks on teh doors, and then It's just me and my guns. which I will practice with. I swear. 16 days left til he leaves... gonna cook up all his favorites... egg rolls, tacos, chili, those indian flat breads with lentils.... etc. any other suggestions on how to make these last days special? (besides the OBVIOUS)

chickensducks&agoose :

Thanks guys! Each post I read makes me feel a little bit better. I'm considering, in spring (when a whack job wouldn't have to hike 1/4 mile in thigh deep snow...) fencing in both the front door, the rear door and a side yard, and just letting the goose have those parts, so someone'd have to get past him... he's pretty loud when anyone comes around... he and the border collie are my first line of defense.. then it's the locks on teh doors, and then It's just me and my guns. which I will practice with. I swear. 16 days left til he leaves... gonna cook up all his favorites... egg rolls, tacos, chili, those indian flat breads with lentils.... etc. any other suggestions on how to make these last days special? (besides the OBVIOUS)

foot and back rubs, and spending time and giving him lots of
hugs.gif

Write letters and notes. Date the outside of the envelope. Put them in a bundle and slip them in his luggage. He'll have a surprise and something to open every few days = something to look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom