Very weak rooster

To clear some things up

•He is a mosaic and his face is always that tone of purple
•The flock is on a mix of all flock and layer feed, and any day around freezing they get some higher protein.
•The lump is in the opposite side of his crop and about 4 inches away from his head.
•He has electrolytes in his water, But I will help get him hydrated again. He may not be getting enough on his own.
•He and his flock and their area will be treated for lice tomorrow

Thanks for all the help so far!! I can try and get better pictures of the lump tomorrow if needed.
I will keep you updated.

I’ve been going back and forth with Pedialyte and electrolyte water with him. He isn’t wanting to eat or drink, and doesn’t like me trying to syringe water him but he takes some then. I’ve given him a permethrin dip for the lice and they seem to be gone.

He still hasn’t improved at all, and seems worse. He topples over constantly, can barely stand but doesn’t want to sit. I have him inside at the moment with my rabbit and he just wobbles in the hay box. Lump looks a little bigger but I don’t know if that’s me. Some more color to his comb though!
71E20096-615C-49C4-927C-D2E8E2DCADD5.jpeg
387B0672-1FAB-435A-8A63-5BD54375E1DC.jpeg

Can you/will you tube feed him?
It doesn't sound like he's doing too good and if he doesn't get nutrition in him quickly he will die.

I'm not sure what to think about that lump. Is it squishy or hard?

Can you/will you tube feed him?
It doesn't sound like he's doing too good and if he doesn't get nutrition in him quickly he will die.

I'm not sure what to think about that lump. Is it squishy or hard?
I’ve never tube fed before a chicken before. I’m sure with instruction I could try.

It’s hard

Sorry about your rooster. How old is he? Is he molting or has he recently completed a molt? Does he seem unbalanced or have any weakness or numbness of a leg or a dropping wing? How does his crop feel? Empty, full, hard, or puffy? I don’t know if his lump is significant or not. Is it hard or soft? Feather cysts from an ingrown feather are common in chickens, and tumors can be fairly common.

Tube feeding can be done with a feeding tube and catheter tip syringe from a vet, or you can make your own with 15 inch section of aquarium air tubing from the fish aisle in Walmart, and a regular 35 ml luer lock syringe from a feed store. A lot depends on if he is young, a priced pet, or if he is expected to recover. Here is some reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/#post-12548717

Sorry about your rooster. How old is he? Is he molting or has he recently completed a molt? Does he seem unbalanced or have any weakness or numbness of a leg or a dropping wing? How does his crop feel? Empty, full, hard, or puffy? I don’t know if his lump is significant or not. Is it hard or soft? Feather cysts from an ingrown feather are common in chickens, and tumors can be fairly common.

Tube feeding can be done with a feeding tube and catheter tip syringe from a vet, or you can make your own with 15 inch section of aquarium air tubing from the fish aisle in Walmart, and a regular 35 ml luer lock syringe from a feed store. A lot depends on if he is young, a priced pet, or if he is expected to recover. Here is some reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/#post-12548717

He is about 10 months
Seems just unstable overall but has a droopy wing
Crop is empty
Just stopped molting, still growing some feathers back
Lump is hard

Depends on how bad he gets, but I am taking a bearded dragon to the vet this week and may get him an appointment as well.

Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? Hopefully, it is not that, but the drooping wing, no appetite, and toppling over could possibly be symptoms. Let us know what the vet has to say. In the meantime, I would give him some Poultry NutriDrench and hold up a small bowl of very wet feed and cooked egg often. Offer water. Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext...Preventing Mareks Disease in Small Flocks.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Good news! I got back from work and he’s much more accepting of the watering, and acting more alert(still wobbly). And he actually ran from me when I went to pick him up, which I see good as he has always been skittish but hasn’t felt well enough to try it seems.
I have him situated in a laundry basket in my room to keep an eye on him, and I made him some mush with his food and some egg. Once I ‘left’ he looked around before pecking at the egg and eating. Now he’s dozing off. Scheduling a vet appointment tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom