VERY weird egg!!!!*updated* BIG REVEAL OF "HONEYCOMB" in "WINDOW"

Quote:
oh no..... you don't think people will be coming here in droves to pray over it, do you???? just saying....!!!!
bow.gif
ya.gif

Yeah you could charge a nickle per peep.

I've had a few like that since my pullets started laying. I don't know if they're from first timers or just relatively new layers. I've never noticed the honeycomb looking thing inside that you mentioned, but the exterior pattern is very, very close to the same. I have BR's, BA's, BO's, SLW's, and EE's--I know they haven't been from the EE's since only one is laying and her eggs are a seafoam green, but it could be any one (or more?) of the others. They all looked normal inside when I cracked them--tasted good too!
wink.png

We recently started a 2500 hen organic layer flock and have been packing 200 dozen eggs a day. I see 3 or 4 of those a day. Usually the eggs are undersized, pale in color, and somewhat flat on the side that has that patch. I assume they are "body checks", eggs that have broken inside the hen's body and have been repaired by additional calcium deposits.

Quote:
So you have seen the "honeycomb" pattern thing? And that is calcium deposits?

I haven't seen the honeycomb thing and the ring of calcium around the patch is more pronounced on yours than what I've seen on mine. Yes, it's calcium carbonate, the same material as the rest of the eggshell. Are you sure it's something inside the egg? I'd assume it to be bubbles in the air sac or a pattern on the shell that you are seeing as the air sac moves by. Some eggs when candled show a mottled translucent pattern where the calcium deposits haven't laid down evenly. From what I understand the mineralization is deposited in vertical rods on the thickest layer of the shell and sometimes they can be deposited in varying directions causing a mottled translucent appearance in some egg shells.

We've been getting a little over 2300 eggs a day and we pull around 150 that are either cracked, oversized, or have shell problems. Only a couple dozen have shell problems; poor coloring, equatorial bands, body checks, or misshapen eggs that are elongated or slightly flat.
We saw a few eggs with cords on them when they first started laying, we haven' seen any of those in a while. The weirdest one I have seen was nicely shaped egg with a good shell, but half the egg was the regular brown color while half was a whitish cream color with a sharp dividing line, like what you would see when dipping half an easter egg in dye.

..........definately odd, to say the least. Weve gotten them in weird shapes, sizes and colors, as I am sure most have and weve also gotten a couple with dark bands around them that were raised(no it didn't wash off
tongue.png
).
Then this morning I got the weirdest egg I 've seen yet: it has no shell at all..........it's just the membrane and very soft. I find it hard to believe it didn't break open when the hen layed it.........and I hope it's just a 'fluke' incident and that something isn't wrong with one of our girls!

Crack that thing open already;), jk, but it will be cool to see if those are air bubbles or not
cool.png

kelly

Back
Top Bottom