Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

Quote:
Yeah I can't imagine getting the vet wrap between the webby toes. Maybe you can make them a nice dry area to walk around on and you won't need the bandage.
Well it's day two. I can count myself fortunate that the only hen that I have with bumblefoot is my sweetest. She's amazingly tolerant of me doing what I need to do. I think the toothbrush must feel good when I'm scrubbing her foot. I think too she knows that I mean her nothing but good. The scab was a little smaller and a little less tough today and I think it helped to keep it wrapped. I expect in a couple more days, I'll be smocked up with rubber gloves and a face mask squishing the icky stuff out.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
so you can get away with a spray?

Well...below is a link that talks about using a spray bottle, but on fish. I am going to try mixing the solution, putting a small amount in a small spray bottle, soaking the feet with the spray, keep my bumble-footed bird in a clean place, then rinse the foot of the spray. If it does not do anything within a week to improve her condition, I will go to the soak method. It's worth trying because I have several birds with bumble foot, most in the beginning stages with no swelling at the top of the foot. I don't know what is causing it - they have a supurb diet and basically the pen they are in is soft, sandy dirt. The only thing I can think of is that occasionally when the wind is blowing strongly, a gumball or pinecone drops into the pen and possibly before I see it to throw it out, one of them has stepped on it. There are very few, if any, rocks in the pen.

http://www.koivet.com/a_tricide_neo_koi_spray_ulcers.html

cally:
great message from you, and the link!!! A spray would be fantastic if it could work. and yes, bumblefoot--a pain for sure, for all who deal with it. owners and boids..................
cool.png

Quote:
I don't think that spraying Tricide-Neo will work, as this is not a superficial open infection as it is often with Koi. I would suggest doing full 5-7 minute soaks, or you may just be wasting your time and money, and indeed, you make make the bacteria resistant to Tricide-Neo, thus ruining a good thing for everyone with your cheapness. You can try it and tell us if it works, but I highly doubt it will work as well.

Quote:
Again, I highly suggest Nettie's shoes. http://www.indoorducks.com/orders.html She originally made them for her duck with bumblefoot, but she makes them for chickens also now. It takes a few weeks to get them, but they are SO worth it. The neoprene they are made of really keeps the medicines on the foot, being absorbed 24/7.

You really don't get great results without wrapping the feet somehow, because poo and mud gets packed into the bumblefoot and reinfects the area. You'll be spending a lot more time and money treating. Like months.
old.gif

Quote:
Also, don't forget to check your perches. If you have square perches, that is your problem, replace with round perches. Also, ensure your girls are not perching on hard, rough surfaces such as nesting boxes, that might be in your coop. This is what causes the problem in the first place. Don't forget to treat the cause as well as the symptoms.

I just wanted to update that the hen who has lost her infection, who was the meanest hen I'd ever known and had this infection the entirity of her time with me, is now allowing others to perch with her, and is no longer pecking other hens for eating with her, etc. She has had a 360 degree change of personality. She used to squawk when I touched her, but now she is very nice to me. I think that the pain was immense for her, as the infection went all the way through her foot, and it was making her very defensive. She's still wearing Nettie's shoes and gets a dab of Neosporin every few days. No signs of any other infection or problems.

For mites, I highly suggest Ivermectin pour-on for cattle. You should be able to search for it here and get all of the info you need. Remember to repeat every 2 weeks.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
I'm into day two of tricide neo use on one of my faverolle hens but I had to do bumblefoot surgery on the other faverolle hen when one of the plugs on her right foot loosened up and was just hanging there. I've been soaking their feet in warm water mixed with epsom salt, rinsing with fresh water,drying and placing the one faverolle hen in the tricide neo for 7 minutes in distilled water. I used two and a half teaspoons tricide neo to 2 quarts of water,half from what the directions call for. I hope it works or I'll have to proceed with foot surgery next week. The other faverolle hens feet that I did minor surgery on yesterday are healing quickly. There was a smaller 'black spot' on her left foot as well and I went on ahead and took care of that one too. I'll let everyone know the progress of the tricide neo vs surgery healing times in a few days.

The Tricide-Neo is not nearly as fast as a surgical procedure. I am satisfied with how well it is working on ours with small bumblefoot but the larger case which I am now working with is going much slower, so far. I added the Prep H and Vet Wrap to this last girl. Interesting to see a day in the woods (free ranging) decimates the vet wrap so that all that is left is the part around the leg. I might have to make some serious adjustments on this girl. Will be weeks before I can really get after it after this as travels ensure for a couple of weeks. Then an additional update won't be until a couple of weeks after that.

My 2 faverolles havnt had the swelling but I have prep H in case it's needed. I soak 1% iodine on a small guaze and put neosporin on it too, then put the gauze on the bumblefoot spot. I then put a bandaid over the guaze basically just to hold it in place, then instead of vet wrap (which I have), I use duct tape. I put it on such that it does not cut off blood circulation. I've done this in the past with a few other hens and it's worked great and doesnt wear off while free ranging. The next day I use sharp scissors to cut thru it all without any problems. Like stated here before, I think the key is keeping the wound clean as best as possible. If it rains though, I'll probably cage them in the garage til their feet heal. I guess I'm going to need patience with the tricide neo. One issue that I've seen before is even though there's the typical bumblefoot spot on their feet, the chicken doesnt limp or show any sign of foot pain; and when I'd cut it open...nothing would be there...no plug,no pus, maybe a little blood....nothing whatsoever....like the surgery was all for nothing, not to mention stressing the hen out (and me). Has this happened to anyone else?

Quote:
This is the very reason I've been even reading this post. One of my pullets has a fairly large bump with the dark spot right in the middle but she shows NO signs of distress with it. Are ALL knots/calluses/swellings always bumblefoot? What about other bumps or calluses just like people get? I hate the idea of cutting on her if it's not even bumblefoot. Can't it be an inflamation-caused knot that doesn't necessarily have a staph infection??
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom