Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

I just discovered that 3 of my 7 girls have bumblefoot! Ugh! This is my first time dealing with it. I knew it was only a matter of time. They all have the telltale black scab on the bottom of one foot and slight swelling between the toes. Not anything like marble sized swelling, just one foot is slightly larger than the other between the toes. The swelling is squishy to the touch (not hard at all) and feels a little warm. It's almost like it's just filled with a little bit of liquid. They are NOT limping at all and do not seem to be bothered by it.

From what I've read on here, I think I've caught it fairly early enough that I'm going to try to Tricide-Neo for a week and see how that goes. I read that someone suggested not to do the surgery if the chickens aren't limping yet, which makes sense to me. No limping with my 3 girls, so hopefully the Tricide-Neo works! I'm going to Petco to see if they have this powder today. If not, guess I'll have to order online so thanks everyone for providing links to websites with free shipping!

I've been treating one of my girls with the tricide-neo for about a month now and I am seeing improvement. Don't give up after a week. By the way. I have purchased the Tricide-Neo from koiacres.com and the first time I paid the 4.95 for faster shipping and the second time I did not pay the additional for fast shipping. Both times it got here in the same amount of time, 3 days.
tongue.png

Thanks for the advice, PhilErvin! I just ordered from koiacres.com and went with their free shipping. Hope it gets here soon! I'll definitely keep it up for more than 1 week. Hope I see results soon though!
smile.png

So the tricide-neo lasts for 5 days? Do you dilute it just like the package says? Do you guys keep them separate during treatment or let them back out? Should you wrap their feet after the soaking?

I soak in warm Epson Salt water for 10 minutes. Then I pat dry with a towel and try to loosen the plug. Then I put about a 1/2 cup of the Tricide-Neo mixture in a baggie and put her foot in it while I hold it tight at the top so as to not let it leak out. After letting it soak for 5-7 minutes I again pat it dry and then we put Neosporen on the plug area and wrap this all with the stretchie Vet wrap like they wrap your arm at the Blood Bank with. We wrap in this to keep the foot clean till tomorrow when we repeat the whole process.
By the way, for us this is a two person job, one to hold her and one to wrap and unwrap. Also notice that the Tricide-Neo calls for DISTILLED water. This detail is VERY important. Make sure it is DISTILLED not just spring water or other bottled water, DISTILLED.Sparklets makes a DISTILLED water.
Good Luck
wink.png

I have treated my 3 girls 3 times so far with the Tricide-Neo. First, I soak the foot in warm water with epsom salt and scrub with a brush to loosen the dirt and plug. Then I soak the foot in the Tricide-Neo mix for 5-7 minutes. I put neosporin on the plug on the bottom of the foot, cover with a small piece of gauze, then wrap the foot in vetwrap.

I've only done 3 treatments and haven't seen any improvement, but I didn't expect to see any difference this soon. However, it seems like my gold laced wyandotte, Buttercup, is getting worse. She was the worst case to begin with, and it seems like she has even more swelling than when I started the Tricide-Neo treatments. The plug on the bottom of her foot is actually pretty small and there's no swelling on the bottom of the foot. All the swelling is on top of the foot between her toes and it's getting pretty bad. It's still squishy and it's very warm to the touch. It looks like it's so swollen that the skin is stretched so far that it might split open. She isn't limping at all and seems completely normal, so should I just continue the treatments for a while and see if there's improvement? Or should I lance the swollen parts between her toes and drain?

Here's a couple pictures of what the swelling looks like:

51548_img00138-20100629-1352.jpg

51548_img00137-20100629-1352.jpg

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!

The Tricide-Neo treatment has been working for us but we have been at it for about a month now. We do the Epson salt soak, followed by the Triced-Neo soak for 5-7 minutes, then we put drawing salve on the bump on top of her foot. Yesterday my wife was able to work the bump on top of the foot loose and it all came out
sickbyc.gif
now we think she will heal faster. The drawing salve made the lump come to a head and drain, it was gross when the hard lump came out but the lump immedietly went down and I will see today what it looks like.
Don't give up

Quote:
I would go in and cut the bumble out. There is staff infection in there. It may be possible that the infection is to far along for the Tricide-Neo to help it. I have purshased some of this Tricide but have not used it as of yet. I still think that the cutting is the best way to remove that pus, from the picture it looks like it is pretty big and she will get sicker if you don't go in and clean it out. I actually had my vet do a Bummblefoot surgery on one girl and she has not had a problem since. I actually am due to check over their feet and hope I don't find anything going on. the surgery is worth it in the long run it is just time consuming and kids keep me really busy since school is out. .

Hope your girls get better soon.

Quote:
My wife finally said "Let's just take her to the Vet", but I said that I want to try to fix this without an expensive vet bill otherwise these chickens could become an expensive venture.

Back
Top Bottom