Vicious Rooster

cogs55

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
I have been raising chickens only a year and a half started with six chicks that turned into four hens and one rooster. This year we bought six more chicks all are hens. Before i integrated the new chickens the other were in a 2' x 6' coop with 6' x 8' run. I let them free range when I was home but that got really old when they started crossing the street ( I still don't know why)
smile.png
. This year I got a coop twice as big and I fenced in an area that's about 50' square. The rooster has always been aggressive before I thought it was they were in a small space a lot of the time and he was protecting the hens, I figured with all this room he would calm down, he did for a while but he's gotten mean again this morning I brought in fresh water the rooster was in the coop he came out while I was at the far end of the enclosure and got between me and the gate and attacked me when I tried to get out. I usually don't back down but wasn't really dressed to grab him and got out with a small cut to my hand. I've tried holding him for a while, I confined him in a five gallon pail but now with the room he has I can't catch him. I am at the point of changing his name from Randy to Stu (Stew) but am reluctant to loos the flock's guardian I've heard that you need ten hens for every rooster while that's what I have he hasn't started mounting the younger birds will he calm down once he has enough hens to satisfy him?

No, I see this often with roosters raised only with flock mates. I would cull this boy, and contact my local poultry club, county extension office or the local feed store. There is someone near you who has a darling polite rooster, that is so polite, the owner has delayed the stewpot and would be delighted for you to have him. Get as rid of this one as soon as possible.

This will add fresh genetics, good behavioral genes,(do you really want that bad boy's chicks?) and you will be safe, and so will anyone else that visits be safe in the coop. Your hens will love him, and so will you.

Tonight, when he is roosted up, wear long sleeves and pants, take a towel down and cover his head and pull him off the roost, place in cage, process the next day if you want.

Earlier this summer, I culled two roosters in the morning added the new rooster in the early afternoon, and the girls were all in love by dark, oh can he dance.

Mrsk

Last edited:
I agree. You should replace him. In the mean time bring the hose in the coop with you and if he looks like he's getting overly interested in you, give him a little squirt. Roosters can be dangerous and if he thinks he got the best of you once, chances are the behavior is going increase in severity over time. Get rid of him now, before he hurts you, or somebody else. There are SO many good, gentlemanly roos needing homes because people can't keep them, you should have no problem finding one for your flock. Personally, I haven't been able to process any of my own birds, but I had no problem rehoming a child-aggressive rooster once (with full disclosure, of course). He was wonderful with hens and very friendly with most people too, but for some reason, didn't like my 8 year old son. It started with chasing, stomping, that kind of thing, which we thought was funny at the time. (We were brand new to chickens) One day, he knocked over the 8 year old and flogged him. He wouldn't stop and he ended up with a cut a half inch from his eye. (Imagine how guilty and stupid I felt!) I rehomed him that day to an experienced couple without kids. They said that they wanted to be cautious and see how he would do with their hens, so they put him in a pen with an older hen to see how he'd do. They came out to find him perched with his wing draped over his "new" hen, protecting her from the elements. He was amazing at protecting/tending hens but made a terrible family pet. Good for somebody, just not us. I guess the point I'm trying to make, is that there is a perfect roo out there for every situation. I wouldn't waste my time with a rooster who was disrespectful (and dangerous) to me or my family. You know, the whole "not biting the hand that feeds ya" thing. Roosters can be awesome and there are so many! They are full of personality, beautiful to look at and will help deter threats to your flock. We really want another rooster someday, but can't have one where we live right now and have decided (for us) to wait until the kids are grown. (Lesson learned!) Eventually though, I'd love a Jersey Giant boy. I heard their temperament is great; rarely agressive and their size alone is sometimes enough to deter some would-be predators, although I've seen some EE roosters that were gorgeous eye-candy and would be great for hatching out pretty little babies! Good luck finding a GOOD boy for your ladies and stay safe! :)

Since I don't have my rooster anymore (culled for same reason as you, too aggressive) my flock was attacked by a predator :(.
Even before the attack, they were stressed. When let loose they would just go under my porch and stay there.

When rooster was around, they would walk around the lawn. I also suggest to get a new one if you decide to cull this one.

I have a rooster like that. His name is Brutus. It's all in the breed and personality. For me I think it's amusing. He is only doing what he should be doing. Protecting his ladies! Haha. It's just your decision if you want to tolerate it or not. A mean bird isn't always a bad bird.

You don't free range anymore, correct? They why does your flock need a guardian? And why on earth do you need to be attacked?

Stew your roo. If you're close to me, I'll happily supply you with a young cockerel who is not only from a line of human friendly birds, but pretty to boot. He'd be younger than your hens, so they could teach him proper manners as he grows up.

I'm sorry that's just how I raise my birds. I can tolerate it. And we just keep an eye out for him. My turkeys are like that too. I was just saying my experience. Not saying that you have to do that. And no I'm not gunna "Stew my roo" that isn't very respectful of you to say about my birds:/.

I was talking to the OP, John, not you. You're a big boy and can do what you want, and weren't asking for advice. The OP said she was going to rename her bird Stew, I was just quoting her.

I have a rooster like that. His name is Brutus. It's all in the breed and personality. For me I think it's amusing.

Hahaha you must be tall and muscular! ;)

My roo used to charge me, and then I'd walk backward because of the wings flapping and the claws on my skin.. and then I'd fall on the ground and he would continue!!! I was afraid for my eyes. I did not find that amusing at all, can't imagine anyone falling backwards in the grass/poop/rain and finding it amusing ;) Maybe I need a man around.. lol

Hi all, I'm experiencing something like this, My boy was an accident between a very placid gold brahma boy and a timid EE hen. A couple of days after he was laid and put in the fridge awaiting an addition to an omelet my whole flock was killed by a fox, I put his egg into the incubator not expecting anything but he hatched, as has been already mentioned he did grow up ( with the exception of 3 additions) with the eggs he hatched with, I have removed the extra Roos and they have enough room. Up until 3 weeks ago he was always very friendly and gentle would always follow me around and was the first to hop on my lap when I sat in the run with them. The first and second time he pecked me ( hard ) I assumed it was because he just wanted his breakfast and didn't think much of it but the last week he has actually run out of the coop at me and pecked my leg, I haven't backed off from him and he doesn't scare me but he is becoming highly strung and always watches intently wherever you are. I assume this behaviour is just going to get worse which is a great shame as he is a lovely looking bird and the only link I have left to his dad who I was very fond of.

Back
Top Bottom