Victoria Crown Pigeon

crait

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Dallas, Texas

So, this bird is BEAUTIFUL!!! Apparently, they are very tame and very, very nice and can get along well with chickens. Does actually have any? They are exotic and very rare in the wild, but I've read they are commonly bred. I saw one at the zoo and had to post about it on my website.

I would really enjoy getting one, but I have no idea how to get a hold of someone that has them. I don't have any pigeons, but I've read up on them. I know it would probably be very, very expensive, but I'm looking around at my options right now. I fell in love with the one I saw at the zoo and actually would really like to work at the zoo now just to be able to hold it.

If you have been around one or actually have them, how are they? What do you think about them?

I wrote more about the bird here: http://crait.net/victoria-crowned-pigeon/

nice bird
sorry I don't know too much about them except that they are native to North New Guinea and that they're one of the largest pigeons in the world.

Last edited:
I'm okay with the cost... in fact, I thought they'd be a few grand... Where can I find some breeders though? Or even a breeders listings?

Cost, how about $5000 for a young pair, never would put with chickens.
Need protection and heat during below freezing temps. Lay one egg per clutch, if they lay for you. Very hard to hand feed and raise. Otherwise just look at the pictures and start with something cheaper and more productive.

Back
Top Bottom