Video and pics. Help me diagnose 10 week old respiratory illness?

It seems to be. He hasn’t really been interested in his chicken food, so the only time his crop is big enough to be palpable is when I give something more interesting like Greek yogurt or chicken noodle soup.
Make him a wet mash made out of the chick starter and offer bits of scrambled egg.
You want to try to encourage him to eat his normal nutritionally balanced feed.

Just an update in case anyone stumbles upon this post. Sorry for the length; it’s venting as much as it is an update:

Nunu passed away in his sleep two nights ago at about 16 weeks old. He had recovered from the infection and was back outside living his best chicken life. All signs (that I didn’t know were signs until an article I read this morning) point to left-ventricle heart failure. My best guess would be that he had a congenital heart disease or defect, making him more prone to illness, or the infection caused heart damage. I’m leaning towards congenital. The morning before he passed, he was being extra sweet. He even squatted for me (I’ll take that as a compliment). But I did notice his legs and comb were much more pale/bluer than usual (his comb was never red unless he was inside the house. Always a shade of purple). I figured it was just because it was extra chilly that day. Kicking myself for not taking the day off work to keep an eye on him, but I didn’t know 😢

This is my first run with chickens. At least now I know what to look for, and in the future I might get lucky and be able to spot a problem early enough to provide supportive care. I’m heartbroken for now, but I’ll take this experience for what it is and use what I’ve learned going forward.

Back
Top Bottom