Video Games Good/Bad?

Celtic Hill

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Scotland CT
I have never been your runn of the mill kinda guy, im 18 and could care less about the new Wii my parents got us for Xmass, (i think it was more for them
lol.png
) I just dont like or approve of video games. I just never liked them. Now my brother on the other hand...He is your typical 13 y.o. always playing video games. Sometimes I just think it's too much, like I know there are some games out there that are educational, but realistically how manny are there out there? He will just sit there and play video games and get caught up in then and get sucked in and then has a piss poor attitude. He dosn't play them all the time, normally right after school and when the parents are not home. But 2 hours after school continuously playing video games is alot, and then he might go play his Game boy. It's just a lot and I will sometimes yell at him for being on it too much. Now he will come back with "Well its no different then you always being on the computer" but it really isn't the same. Most of my time on my comp is spent either Digital Drawing, Face book (chatting with freinds) or on byc or other forums talking with people and reading about chickens and such, learning. ect...

what are you thoughts?

I think your one smart cookie!

Would love to see some of your digital drawing if you want to share.

I would love to play a few of them... but they mess with me physically.. Headaches, dizziness... almost like motion sickness, though I don't get motion sickness on anything else. It's weird. I can watch someone play them, I just can't do it for very long myself.

The Wii and other games like them, are at least better in that they require more physical activity which unfortunatly, many kids really need. So there are some good things about them.

Last edited:
I think trying to take them away is just gonna make him want to play them more
roll.png
I would know... my DH is 27 and plays endless hours on ps3 (same game). He also has a bad attitude when he is losing terribly!
hmm.png
I turn right back around and give him a piece of my mind! I don't mind a video game myself, I'll play Black ops (of course I suck) but they're meant to have fun. Your bros problem is he's young and not yet ready to realize sometimes you have to lose several times before you can win. I can't say too much about DH playing though, I don't work, he does and went to school to get a degree so makes good money and we live pretty close to comfortable. Maybe make a statement to your parents about how much you see him playing and make sure he's finishing school before any games. You're 18, should be allowed to do whatever you feel like doing because you're not 13 anymore. I will say that computers are not good for your eyes just as much as staring at a video game screen for hours isn't either! I used to sit and stare at computers all day and my eye doctor informed me I'd have trouble reading up close before I'm 40!!!!!!!!!!!

I have talked to my parents and they agree, my mom's an ex detective, so we pretty much have always been "inline" but my brother is 13 and is in a junior high that is combined with a highschool and since this past year i have noticed a big change in his attitude, and it's that age too... But i just think the stimulation of the video games are bad, and don't get me started on Hunting/Shooting/War Games
duc.gif

Silly, let me find a pic!

I think you have the right idea.

The problem is that video games offer a quick release from reality and a way to have quick fun without any effort, and that aspect, if nothing else, makes them addictive and hard to put down. It's not the same as going outside and playing a nice long game of baseball (of course, you're less likely to get injured playing video games
roll.png
) I don't know about anyone else, but when I start playing video games, my productivity levels nose-dive, and that isn't good, especially if there's homework to do.

But i just think the stimulation of the video games are bad, and don't get me started on Hunting/Shooting/War Games

I know. Why people see the need to fill the world with more violence escapes me . . .
idunno.gif

I'll just stick with my RPG's and the Myst franchise
big_smile.png

*edit* Just saw that you uploaded pictures. Love the horse portrait WIP, you have a good eye for horses!​

Last edited:
Now I'm a Mom to 5 Kids and My son has played for many yrs at times I did think it was a bit much but when I see kids out side uptown getting into trouble and my son safe at home with his games at least I know what he's doing and not out getting in trouble, tho I do agree there should be some moderation. But you know my son is now in the Army So I guess I really didn't need to worry , your Brother will find his way with you and your parents guiding him So don't worry about what he plays in the safety of your home just worry about who he hangs with that has more influence than those games

Just my two cents worth

I think that certain games are okay and others are not. I enjoy playing a game for the Wii called "Just Dance". You are moving around and "dancing" and just having a good time. On the other hand, you have games that are all about killing people and just being genenrally violent. My brother, who was 13 at the time, was having concentration and attitude issues last school year. He was constantly playing the video games and was always off in lala land. It seemed like that was all he could think/ talk about. Well my parents decided to take away the video games and it was almost automatic change. His "grades" went up (we are both homeschooled) and he could finally concentrate on the school work and was in better moods. After awhile they let him earn time on it by doing good in school and doing chores. So limiting them is definetly the way to go IMHO.

Well, to each their own. I like video games. We have a Wii and PS3. Some of my favorite games are hunting games, and a game called Endless Ocean. I have also been using the Wii to exercise now that I can't get outside much because of the snow and ice. Most of the time I don't play much. Maybe a couple times a week if that. But, now, being stuck inside I am playing more. I have really been getting into the Wii sports (boxing, bowling, golf, tennis)

Last edited:
I don't think they are all bad, I played Pac Man when it first came out....but....

We talk so much about childhood obesity and how the food our kids eat at school is not good for them, but we fail to look at our children's activity levels...
When I was a child, I would never stay in the house playing games or watching TV during the day ( of course we didn't have a TV til I was about 8)....MOM would put me to work...didn't want that!
wink.png
So I was outside riding my bike, hula hopping, pogo sticking, trying to be Nadia Komanichi (sp) on the front lawn, trying to break my neck doing the deadmans drop off the monkey bars, digging to China with friends, and yes...getting in a little trouble on occasion (for which my arse was busted with a good old fashion spanking!).......in essence....moving!
Today our children sit and watch TV, sit and play on the computer, sit and text their friends, all year long, instead of riding their bikes, building forts, walking down to Tommy's house, etc.

So, I am not fond of them....they have their place, but I think they should be limited!

Back
Top Bottom