Video of a broody & babies

Kim_NC

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Mt Airy, NC
I did a video of a broody hen and 20 chicks last season. Finally got around to editing it.

The babies are just adorable...eating & drinking, hopping on momma's back, pecking her beak and wattles, doing their chicky thing...

But the best part might be the intro and ending clips. Here's a screenshot:
video_broody_screenshot.jpg

The full video is available here. Please overlook the narrating
smile.png
- it was done for our small neices and nephews, ages 4 - 8:

http://millriverfarm.com/video.cfm

im assuming the black chicks are hers and the others are the ones from a hatchery, you can tell she knows cuase i saw her peck the white chicks and growl at the EE chick

Quote:
You're very observant.
smile.png

There were only 6 of the 20 chicks that were her own hatch, all sexlinks (from other hens' eggs). Her hatched babies were 5 solid black females and the only little blue one with the spot on its head (male). All of the other blacks with white necks and underbodies were hatchery australorps. The white chicks were hatchery EEs. Although she pecked at the white EE chicks a little, she did raise them and never hurt them.

I removed the 'obvious' little EE chick at day 6 or 7. Selene never really accepted her well. She started pecking at her constantly, and I finally put the chick with another group who were 2 weeks older. They readily accepted her, and even let her sleep in the center of the group under the heat lamps each night. DH named her .... Orphan Annie....LOL. She lays a lovely turquoise egg now and is the most shy but sweet girl.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom