vinyl kiddie pool for pond liner

v.cyr

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Greene, NY
has anyone ever used a vinyl kiddie pool(non inflating type) as a in ground pond liner... my GF and I had been pricing pond stuff at various places, and were a little dismayed at the projected price of the endeavor... then I see this little, 96 gal, 60" dia, 10" deep vinyl kiddie pool at family dollar for $10... I figure if something like that, or even a couple of them(cut and sealed together like a big figure 8) could be used for a liner, it would significantly reduce the cost... what do you folks think?...

They hold water above ground, don't see why they wouldn't do the same below ground. However, if this is for ducks or other animals (which I assume it is because of where you are posting), then I would make sure to line the bottom with sand & small rounded rocks...nothing pointy...as the pools are not near as thick as the regular inground pool lining material is likely to be and may tear rather easily when exposed to ducky claws.

Last edited:
They hold water above ground, don't see why they wouldn't do the same below ground. However, if this is for ducks or other animals (which I assume it is because of where you are posting), then I would make sure to line the bottom with sand & small rounded rocks...nothing pointy...as the pools are not near as thick as the regular inground pool lining material is likely to be.

I was thinking along those lines... an inch, inch and a half of sand over the bottom...

I used a 10' round 30" deep pool for the liner to our pond. We've had it for a few years and decided not to use it this summer.

Before:

After: the ducks pond is about 2 feet deep and then I burried the extra material up on the edges with the logs and sand. I plan to pick up some flat rocks to put around the edges. I will uses the pool pump to empty the pond to give them fresh water when needed. It is now approx 7'x7'ish.

Last edited:
We used one of the inflatable pools as our pond liner. Cut it to fit as a liner for our hole. Works great and has been going strong for 3 years now. There are a few spots that are getting a bit weak, but considering the thing is 6 years old and heavily used by humans (as a pool) and ducks (in the ground as a pond) I think it has paid for itself.

Should be fine as long as it is deep enough for them not to puncture the liner on the bottom with their nails.
Or you might want to line under with a couple of inches of sand and then put an inch of sand inside as well - or maybe not... it will just get moved around anyway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom