Violete Peafowl

All of the sex linked colors first showed up in females first. Cameo did and produced purple and peach from the mating's . Violete did, It takes a few yrs. to find out if it is sex linked or not. The black shoulder Violete is like other BS in pattern. The other Violet is more of a purple pattern .. no bars on wings, which is really how a black shoulder pattern should be, regardless of color. There have and may still be two shades of Purple birds, one group a lot darker than the other group.??
idunno.gif
connerhills

Jack07, I knew you would eventually get to the point where you would cross breed two sex linked colors. Unfortunately, this is where the language differences are probably going to get in the way of a healthy discussion. Quite frankly, I do not have enough experience with combining sex linked colors to completely be able to annotate them confidently in the language of a prunett square. I have been working on several theories, but I just don't have enough experience to know what is correct. I only have the experiences of others and quite frankly I have a hard time believing some of what we hear.

To begin to discuss crossing two sex linked colors, you are going to need to understand the concept of cross over and what that means. Read up on that and try and get a grasp on it. Then we can talk.

Your breeding above is not necessarily incorrect but I don't know what the resulting bird looks like. There are really a couple of different ways to possibly annotate sex linked colors. In reality what happens is you have a prunett square that has possibilities that are no longer related directly to the number of boxes in the square due to cross over.

Jack07, I knew you would eventually get to the point where you would cross breed two sex linked colors. Unfortunately, this is where the language differences are probably going to get in the way of a healthy discussion. Quite frankly, I do not have enough experience with combining sex linked colors to completely be able to annotate them confidently in the language of a prunett square. I have been working on several theories, but I just don't have enough experience to know what is correct. I only have the experiences of others and quite frankly I have a hard time believing some of what we hear.

To begin to discuss crossing two sex linked colors, you are going to need to understand the concept of cross over and what that means. Read up on that and try and get a grasp on it. Then we can talk.

Your breeding above is not necessarily incorrect but I don't know what the resulting bird looks like. There are really a couple of different ways to possibly annotate sex linked colors. In reality what happens is you have a prunett square that has possibilities that are no longer related directly to the number of boxes in the square due to cross over.

@Jack07 , comprenez-vous ce qu'AugeredIn a dit? Connaissez-vous le sujet genetique qu'on appele en anglais, "cross over"?

La question de "cross over" fait le prediction tres complique. On peut l'expliquer si vous ne l'avez deja rencontre.

Question par moi ... savons-nous certainement que la violete european soit liee au gene sexe? Est-ce-que la violete european meme que la violete qu'on a chez USA? Je ne sais rien au violete european...

@AugeredIn , what do you know about the violete birds that they have in France? Are they the same as the violete which has been bred here in the US? And do we know for sure if it is sex-linked?

I'll try to stick around, because I've noticed Google translate sometimes is a bit off -- but then, so am I
gig.gif

We do know the hen chicks will be straight purple, right? It's the male chicks that are problematic...

In the phenotype , they will never have a mix of the colors . To change the color of a sex-linked mutation you must use a no- sex- linked like bronze.... midnight.

In the phenotype , they will never have a mix of the colors . To change the color of a sex-linked mutation you must use a no- sex- linked like bronze.... midnight.

No, Dany, this is not correct.

Midnight and bronze have nothing to do with it.

@AugeredIn said earlier, you have to look into "cross over" genes. If you look around BYC, or search on the internet, you will find explanations for "cross over" genetics.

You cannot say "they will never mix" -- when genes "cross over" -- they can cross, and sometimes uncross also.

A cross over is something that doesn't happen every day!
Only the nature decides!

The problem is not that I do not want to create a sex-linked mutation.
A breeder says from another breeder: "this breeder is not selling pure violet peacocks because he mixes purple peacocks and violet peacocks" .
If mates a male Purple with a female Violet ( two mutations sex-linked) all the peahens will be purple and all the males will be blue split purple and split violet.
No bird with a color between purple and violet!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom